Add checkbox to default the MQTT node name to broker name

Needs a shape too since not everyone can differentiate such colours.

Good point about accessibility.
Red triangle/green dot?

I think red triangles are used to indicate an error in function nodes?

I don't like the extra checkbox idea personally, sorry!

Just don't tick it then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, maybe you need to read my standards document on accessibility approaches! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :grinning:

Not everyone can make out colour differentiation and not everyone can see clearly enough to easily make out small differences in shapes. A word or two carries a LOT of visual data though - in its shape and structure.

In most (western at least) countries now, you have legal accessibility requirements when presenting staff with user interfaces. You also have similar legal requirements when presenting interfaces to the public. When used in home automation of course, the requirement is to keep your partner happy!

2 Likes

How about the broker name if connected and blank or "not connected" otherwise?

1 Like

Yes, nice. Though are there other states as well?

1 Like

The simplest PR would be just to add the broker name to the status

e.g connected(mainbroker) or mainbroker(connected) or connected-mainbroker etc ....

And then we have to truncate it as fqdn broker names are so longā€¦

No one ever said life was easy! :rofl:

More seriously, I agree, not likely to be feasible. To be honest, I've personally never found this to be an issue and I'm quite happy with the way the nodes are. And that's not like me at all!

If anything needs doing to them, it would be to handle Ack's.

Weā€™ll all things are feasible. But just because you can doesnā€™t mean you should. Just one more checkbox will solve every problem

1 Like

I really didn't word my request right did I :slight_smile:

My idea is to use the name field from the broker config - not the actual broker fqdn :slight_smile:

So if it ended up truncated at 32 chars like
disconnected-mqtt.eclipseproje..

then it'd be up to users to use shorter names or live with the truncation

At the end of the day - the checkbox is just required if the visual change to existing flows is considered unacceptable, if the automagical naming of node when name is empty and topic is empty is implemented

If it's considered acceptable for the node to expand from the default "mqtt" to something like "mqtt.eclipeprojects.io" then no checkbox needed

For everyone advocating changing the status text - keep in mind that would be a major breaking change for any flows that use the Status node to monitor the state of the connection.

I'm not prepared to deal with the fallout from that for such a minor thing.

As for defaulting the node name to the broker name... we can certainly look at what may make sense as a default behaviour. If we're just replacing an unhelpful label of mqtt with the broker config node name, then that is probably fairly 'safe' (with the usual constraints about length etc).

If its changing the default away from showing the topic value, then it would be less helpful imho.

Thanks for the suggestion @cymplecy

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.