After installing 1.1.2 my dashboard icon is gone

Hi,
I just upgraded to the latest version that happened to be the 1.1.2 and I noticed I have no dashboard icon to click on. Is this a bug or a feature :slight_smile:

Works fine on all my RPI(es) so I don't think it's a bug.

Have you tried clearing the cache in your browser ??

For most browsers you need to hold down the CTRL key and press F5.

In my experience that isn't necessarily sufficient. Better to go into Settings and find the Clear Cache option. Google it for your browser if you can't find it.

OK - I stand corrected on that one.

Do the dashboard nodes still appear in the palette?

Any errors logged to the browser's JavaScript console?

This is on a Windows7 PC and Chrome Browser and still no luck even after restarting.
It was working fine with 1.0
I tried it on a brand new PC with Windows10 and the same thing happened.
I am also using Node.js version 12.18.2 on both machines.

Can you see the dashboard if you browse to localhost:1880/ui (or the appropriate IP if not on the same machine).

If not then what happens when you go to that address?
Post the startup log you see when you start node red in a terminal.

Yes, it works if I use the IP address, but just the icon is gone on 2 machines is strange.
Sorry, where do I find the startup log?

Start node-red in a terminal and it should appear there. It starts with the Welcome to node red message.

Did you respond the the earlier question "Any errors logged to the browser's JavaScript console?"

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\NIKHIL>node-red
13 Jul 20:26:07 - [info]

Welcome to Node-RED

13 Jul 20:26:07 - [info] Node-RED version: v1.1.2
13 Jul 20:26:07 - [info] Node.js version: v12.18.2
13 Jul 20:26:07 - [info] Windows_NT 6.1.7601 x64 LE
13 Jul 20:26:10 - [info] Loading palette nodes
13 Jul 20:26:25 - [info] Worldmap version 2.0.12
13 Jul 20:26:35 - [info] Dashboard version 2.8.0 started at /ui
13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-googlechart/googlechart] Error: Canno
t find module 'C:\Users\NIKHIL\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\node-red/red/red
'
Require stack:

• C:\Users\NIKHIL.node-red\node_modules\node-red-contrib-googlechart\googlechar
    t.js
  • C:\Users\NIKHIL\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\node-red\node_modules@node-r
    ed\registry\lib\loader.js
    ed\registry\lib\index.js
    ed\runtime\lib\nodes\index.js
    ed\runtime\lib\index.js
  • C:\Users\NIKHIL\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\node-red\lib\red.js
  • C:\Users\NIKHIL\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\node-red\red.js
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Read] TypeError [ERR_IN
    VALID_ARG_TYPE]: The first argument must be of type string or an instance of Buf
    fer, ArrayBuffer, or Array or an Array-like Object. Received function hidden
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Getter] TypeError [ERR_
    INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The first argument must be of type string or an instance of B
    uffer, ArrayBuffer, or Array or an Array-like Object. Received function hidden
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Flex-Getter] TypeError
    [ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The first argument must be of type string or an instance
    of Buffer, ArrayBuffer, or Array or an Array-like Object. Received function hid
    den
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Write] TypeError [ERR_I
    NVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The first argument must be of type string or an instance of Bu
    ffer, ArrayBuffer, or Array or an Array-like Object. Received function hidden
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Flex-Write] TypeError [
    ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The first argument must be of type string or an instance
    of Buffer, ArrayBuffer, or Array or an Array-like Object. Received function hidd
    en
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-IO-Config] TypeError [E
    RR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The first argument must be of type string or an instance o
    f Buffer, ArrayBuffer, or Array or an Array-like Object. Received function hidde
    n
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-modbus/Modbus-Response-Filter] TypeEr
    ror [ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The first argument must be of type string or an inst
    ance of Buffer, ArrayBuffer, or Array or an Array-like Object. Received function
    hidden
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-mcp23017chip/mcp23017chip] Error: Cou
    ld not locate the bindings file. Tried:
    → C:\Users\NIKHIL\node_modules\i2c-bus\build\i2c.node
    → C:\Users\NIKHIL\node_modules\i2c-bus\build\Debug\i2c.node
    → C:\Users\NIKHIL\node_modules\i2c-bus\build\Release\i2c.node
    → C:\Users\NIKHIL\node_modules\i2c-bus\out\Debug\i2c.node
    → C:\Users\NIKHIL\node_modules\i2c-bus\Debug\i2c.node
    → C:\Users\NIKHIL\node_modules\i2c-bus\out\Release\i2c.node
    → C:\Users\NIKHIL\node_modules\i2c-bus\Release\i2c.node
    → C:\Users\NIKHIL\node_modules\i2c-bus\build\default\i2c.node
    → C:\Users\NIKHIL\node_modules\i2c-bus\compiled\12.18.2\win32\x64\i2c.node (lin
    e:3)
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [info] Settings file : \Users\NIKHIL.node-red\settings.js
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [info] HTTP Static : C:\users\NIKHIL.node-red\imgs
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [info] Context store : 'default' [module=memory]
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [info] User directory : \Users\NIKHIL.node-red
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn] Projects disabled : set editorTheme.projects.enabled=tr
    ue to enable
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [info] Flows file : \Users\NIKHIL.node-red\flows_SGOffice
    .json
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:1880/
    13 Jul 20:26:39 - [warn]

Your flow credentials file is encrypted using a system-generated key.

If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials
file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter
your credentials.

You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in
your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

13 Jul 20:26:39 - [info] Starting flows
13 Jul 20:26:39 - [info] [mosca in:MQTT Broker] Binding mosca mqtt server on por
t: 1883
13 Jul 20:26:39 - [info] Started flows
13 Jul 20:26:40 - [info] [mqtt-broker:1ab01019.f1549] Connected to broker: mqtt:
//192.168.1.51:1883

That says you have Dashboard 2.8.0 installed - which is over two years old.

I suggest you upgrade to the latest version of Dashboard - 2.23.0

Yep, upgrading the dashboard "npm install node-red-dashboard" fixed it. Thanks.

Even though the install section showed I was already using the 2.23.0

That means that the node was updated in the repository two days ago, not that you installed it two days ago.

1 Like

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.