[ANNOUNCE] node-red-contrib-ftp-server-ext: beta (to store my ip cam recordings in Node-RED)

Hi folks,

I bought a few camera's recently, and I wanted to have an 'easy' way to store the camera's recording on the SSD drive of my Raspberry. Since most camera's can behave like an FTP client, I decided to integrate an FTP server into Node-RED.

I could have installed a full-blown third-party FTP server, but most of you meanwhile know that my DNA forces me to have as much integrated into Node-RED as possible. So I would prefer not to discuss alternative ftp servers in this discussion...

So I developed the node-red-contrib-ftp-server-ext node :champagne: :clinking_glasses: :partying_face:

It is not published on NPM yet. But in case you want to test it, you can install it - when you have git installed - directly from my Github repository (from within your .node-red folder):

npm install bartbutenaers/node-red-contrib-ftp-server-ext

This way it becomes very easy to tell my IP camera to store its recorded MP4 files (after e.g. motion has been detected by the camera) on the SSD drive of my Raspberry:

As always, all "constructive" feedback is very welcome!!

Remarks:

• For those wondering why I didn't simply contribute to the existing node-red-contrib-ftp-server node: although the author seems to be doing a "very" good job to maintain his node, that node is build on top of the @svrooij/ftpd package, which is a very limited and unmaintained FTP server package...
  • I have not been able to test the FTPS scenario completely due to lack of free time. And since my cam does seem to support FTP and SFTP but not FTPS, I had other priorities...

Bart

8 Likes

Wow ... this is cool, Bart. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Bart
I followed your GitHub instructions, but I am unable to install your ftp-server node on RPI Zero2 W running Bookworm, NR 3.1.3, git version 2.39.2

pi@piZero2:~/.node-red $ npm install node-red-contrib-ftp-server-ext
npm ERR! code E404
npm ERR! 404 Not Found - GET https://registry.npmjs.org/node-red-contrib-ftp-server-ext - Not found
npm ERR! 404
npm ERR! 404 'node-red-contrib-ftp-server-ext@*' is not in this registry.
npm ERR! 404
npm ERR! 404 Note that you can also install from a
npm ERR! 404 tarball, folder, http url, or git url.

Any thoughts?

This thread is two years old. You should open an issue on the node's GitHub issues page.

Meanwhile I will close this thread. If you feel you need to open a new thread you can.

I don't think that node was ever released.

1 Like

Try this instead, and run from within your .node-red directory

npm install bartbutenaers/node-red-contrib-ftp-server-ext

1 Like