[ANNOUNCE] node-red-contrib-ui-web-push: beta version

We would need to install node-red-contrib-ui-web-push to receive messages, and node-red-contrib-web-push to send messages. 2 separate nodes from 2 different authors, so that's the issue that (still) concerns me.

not if one required the other (via it's package.json)

1 Like

That's a good idea :+1:

If this is no issue, then I go for this idea from our friend @dceejay...

1 Like

By all means. Try it first :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • I have added Maxim's node as a dependency to my node's package.json file:

"dependencies": {
         "node-red-contrib-web-push": "0.0.2"
     },

• Then indeed both node's are nicely installed in the Node-RED node_modules directory:

• And the Manage Palette option shows nicely both nodes:

• And both nodes still know the VAPID configuration node.

So I will implement it this way. Thanks Dave for your advice!!!!!

you may want to use "~0.0.2" which will allow you to pick up bug fix updates to his node without having to republish.

1 Like

Have you added your node as a dependency in Maxim's?
Would doing so ensure that any future changes to Maxim's node would also have to respect your node.

I didn't think we wanted to do that - as Maxim's node doesn't "require" Barts to be present and functions without it.

Hey Paul,
no it is the other way around. Currently Maxim already has a lot of users, who don't need my node.
But I really need his node, so I have added his node as a dependency to my node.
I have updated the description on the readme page:

We have agreed that we will give each other a call when something "shared" changes...

As long as he uses semantic versioning correctly - then you won't break when he updates things. (as you will keep using the old version until you get time or need to migrate)

1 Like

I have added to the readme page extra information, based on the questions and answers we had so far in this discussion. So no open topics at the moment, but perhaps nobody has tried it yet (or quitted after trying) ...

Does someone know if it's possible to use KDE Connect for sharing data with a Mobil phone?

@Mannshoch Off-topic, please start a new thread with your question.

2 Likes

Hello Bart,
This feature sounds great! For the research project 5G-XCAST I build a multimedia alert message notification system using Node-red and for delivering the notifications I used the Google Firebase Cloud Messaging. The messages were small, the multimedia used a side channel.

I like to see if I can update my experimental system to use your code and see what can be achieved and how it relates in pro's and con's versus using an external system like Google FCM or Telegram (or amazon SNS).

Best Regards,
Menno

Great,
it worked the first time.
The hardest part was to set up a VM Test with certificates to do SSL / HTTPS.

I've been using Telegram for a while with satisfaction and I'm going to test this way.
I still have to make my perso URL accessible from outside and test it from my Android phone. To be continued.

Bart, Good work anyway !

So I just tested from 4G (not on Wifi) on Firefox and it works. Even if I close all applications. The PopUp happens well

photo_2020-04-15_18-00-58

photo_2020-04-15_18-00-59 (2)

Hi @Jean-Luc,
Very kind of you to let me know that it works in your case!

Yes indeed. It is good that Chrome secures everything, but that makes it more difficult to setup everything. Of course it is not bad that you have now secured your entire Node-RED setup better, but it might be an issue for less technical skilled users :frowning_face:

I'm trying to simplify the integration of LetsEncrypt certificates and automatic certificate renewal in Node-RED, but that is unfortunately not completed yet ...

Hi Menno,
If you have some comparisons, please let me know. Perhaps I cannot solve any of the weaknesses of my setup, but then at least we can inform the users about the (dis)advantages...

I was going to ask the question, but I think the answer is given: web push only works in the same Wifi network? In 4G , outside the house, on my smartphone, I will no longer receive the notifications?

Hi Chris,
When your dashboard is available via 4G and secured with https and a trusted certificate, then it should work... Which is what Jean-Luc has confirmed.