Are Hue Wall Switch modules supported?

Hello,

I'm trying to configure a Philips Hue wall switch module in my dashboard, but I don't seem to be able to add them as "Hue Switch" in my dashboard as it does not appear in the device dropdown.

Are they not supported?

huewallswitch

What node are you using?

I'm running node-red 2.0.6 with node-red-contrib-huemagic 3.0.0.

I don't use this node, or Hue, but what data do you get from the Bridge node?

I've done some digging around and it looks like node-red-contrib-huemagic depends on a library called huejay for interfacing with the Hue bridge. That library has not been updated since 2019 though and there are a bunch of outstanding merge requests for Hue devices that were released after 2019.

These in-wall switches were released about 6 months ago, so I've added support for them in huejay/lib/SensorModel/RDM001.js as ZLLSwitch and when I try to add a new Hue Switch node to node-red, I see the backend returning

http://192.168.1.140:1880/hue/sensors?bridge=192.168.1.124&key=Y0VNk9DyXtlAdaXtlFNoQI7B-QgCkKGUUlC2PITr&type=ZLLSwitch

[{"id":"35","name":"Hue wall switch module 1","model":"Hue Wall Switch","model_id":"RDM001"}]

but even so, I still can't select the switch in the dropdown as shown in the following screenshot:

1 Like

Another update: if I manually specify the sensor id (instead of using the dropdown), I do seem to get events that look like this:

{ button: 1002, name: "On", action: "short released", updated: "2021-10-07T10:40:55+00:00" }

{ button: 1000, name: "On", action: "pressed", updated: "2021-10-07T10:41:36+00:00" }

I don't seem to see "Off" events, but at least it is a start.

Everything works now. I had to edit ./huemagic/hue-switch.html to include my new device type "Hue Wall Switch" to show up in the dropdown

if(sensor.model == "Hue Wireless Dimmer Switch") // add here

Also interesting, the wall switch module is essentially a button that always sends a "short released" event independent of the on/off state of the switch. This was counterintuitive at first, but made sense after considerung that the state of lights can change independent of the current switch setting (e.g. switch turns on lights, app turns off lights, next switch interaction should turn on the lights again).

Goes this device have an 'off' state. From looking at some reviews the units I saw only had a press state, so you have to keep track of how many times it was pressed. It can probably also allow you to track a long press (if you get a release after a pressed)

I only saw "short released" events from this switch. Because the switch is either open or closed, I don't see how it can distinguish between short & long press.

Hi, I am sure that the switch cannot distinguish between a short and long press, but the software monitoring the switch should be able to :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.