Ask google for sensor data

Hi,

I have google home talking to my node-red flow using the library (node-red-contrib-alexa-smart-home (node) - Node-RED). It is great for switching on outlets and lights but it currently can't get sensor data. I was wondering if anyone has been able to do this with another library. Basically I'd like to ask google for a sensor reading and convert that into either an MQTT message or a database query (might be simpler?).

I have looked back through the forums and the only thing I can find is

which doesn't quiet suit my needs.

Thanks in advance,

MArtyn

I'm using node-red-contrib-googlehome which is similar to node-red-contrib-alexa-smart-home, and which I believe is written & maintained by the original author of the node which you are using (@hardillb).

Both nodes seem constrained by the available 'devices' published by google, so any sensor device needs to fall within one of their listed categories.

For example, I have a temperature sensor in my garden, and the nearest device type I can find is the thermostat device which almost works!!
I can ask "What's the temperature in the garden", and Google Home will reply with the current temperature, but also insists on telling me what temp the 'heating' is set to (which of course is not required).

Frustrating!!!

It seems like sensor should be where it is at?

I agree, very frustrating1

I've been playing with the device type "Sensor" which I can get to just return current temperature. I just need to find the time to add it to the list of device types on the site

2 Likes

That's good to hear. Thanks Ben.

Just a quick question, can your node be used to trigger an mqtt message to control a tasmota device? I was just going to see if I could replace my instances of node-red-contrib-alexa-smart-home node to give it a try.

Thank you, Martyn

Of course.

You may need to transform payload to match what ever the tasmota is expecting.

Is there any update to this please @hardillb

Update should be live along with an updated device/trait editor

1 Like

Great! Now working here, and reading DS18B20 equipped devices in the garden & greenhouse.

I had a few initial setup problems, but all my own fault - I overcomplicated the flow.

I assume from your notes that you are not expecting the Google home app to display the value at this time.

What device types/traits have UI on either the Home Hub or the mobile app can be found here: Touch controls  |  Actions on Google Smart Home  |  Google Developers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.