Assign Group to UI element via Environment variable

Hello,

in order to avoid cloning couple of nodes, I want to take usage of the subflow feature. Since I have a lot of UI controls like ui_button or ui_switch. Therefor I need the ability to select the group in a instance of the subflow via environment variable. However I didn't found a way to achieve this with node red v3.1.9.

Is there any way to select the group of a ui_element in a dynamic way?

That capability was added to node-red 4.x. It is currently in beta. Give it a go

@Steve-Mcl thanks for pointing me to. I give this container a try nodered/node-red-dev:v4.0.0-beta.3-1.

I still see this issue, so with the version mentioned this now should work? Are there docs available explaining of how to handle ui elements within subflows? Does this also work with the legacy dashboard or only with the new flowfuse? I am always

I am always a fan of early adaption but I am struggling a bit, my main points are:

• Is there a migration guide from Dashboard 1.0 to flowfuse?
  • Can I simply export my nodes from Dashboard 1.0 and import it to flowfuse?
  • Is there a list of features flowfuse has in comparison to the legacy dashboard?

Searched your word in Google & this: Dashboard 1.0 Migration Guide | Node-RED Dashboard 2.0 was the first result :wink:

Kinda, but due to underlying technology changes and not all contrib nodes exist for dashboard 2 so it probably won't work

Installing node-red v4 only enables your original request for seeing the group as subflow env var. The issue is still open.

There are some (search forum and internet)

Allowing you to set a config node as a subflow env var is node-red feature introduced in v4. It is available to all nodes including dashboard 1. However dashboard 2 has awareness of this feature and let's you see the subflows in the sidebar & correctly groups together the elements when more than 1 instance is added to the same group. Dashboard 1 does not. Also, the issue you mentioned above will affect dashboard 1. Even more so as dashboard one will inter mix UI elements from multiple instances added to same group as it has no native awareness of being a subflow insurance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.