Bug report? Slider node. Information not correct for node

Hi.

While playing with the slider node, I found this "bug".

The node info says this:

Adds a slider widget to the user interface.

The user can change its value between the limits (min and max). Each value change will generate a message with the value set as payload.

If a Topic is specified, it will be added as msg.topic.

Input messages will be converted to a number. The min value will be used if conversion fails, and it will update the user interface. If the value changes, it will also be passed to the output.

The label can also be set by a message property by setting the field to the name of the property, for example {{msg.topic}}.

Setting msg.enabled to false will disable the slider output.

Note: An input msg to the slider node will not change the status information displayed unless the slider node output is connected to another node.

Most importantly the last part:
Note: An input msg to the slider node will not change the status information displayed unless the slider node output is connected to another node.

I made this code to show that is not correct.

I have two inject nodes going into a slider node. no output from the slider node.

Deploy and press an inject button.
The slider goes to that value.
Press the other button, the slider moves to that value.

[{"id":"66c58898.270668","type":"ui_slider","z":"baf80d2f.6bd538","name":"","label":"Temp slider","tooltip":"","group":"878d6cc1.67b2d","order":1,"width":0,"height":0,"passthru":true,"outs":"all","topic":"","min":0,"max":10,"step":1,"x":1300,"y":4880,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"b7d5ef2b.caf4f","type":"inject","z":"baf80d2f.6bd538","name":"","topic":"","payload":"8","payloadType":"num","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":1130,"y":4880,"wires":[["66c58898.270668"]]},{"id":"a5dc1ed7.7bcf4","type":"inject","z":"baf80d2f.6bd538","name":"","topic":"","payload":"1","payloadType":"num","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":1130,"y":4820,"wires":[["66c58898.270668"]]},{"id":"878d6cc1.67b2d","type":"ui_group","name":"Group 3","tab":"ce4bcacd.5cc46","order":3,"disp":true,"width":6},{"id":"ce4bcacd.5cc46","type":"ui_tab","z":"","name":"VTEMP","icon":"dashboard","order":36,"disabled":false,"hidden":false}]

Hi. If what you say is accurate, well spotted. However, to be completely honest, unless I'm missing something, isn't the slider pretty much useless unless it's connected to an output? That make this bug fairly academic.

If it's something that is actually a problem then please raise an issue on the repo at GitHub so the author can reference it and provide an update. (Assuming it's actively maintained)

Hey, I thought I would share what I found.

Shall get to github soon.

Found yet another monster with which I am dealing now.

Um, the standard switch node is part of Node-Red.

You are misreading, this is the key: status information

Add a status node, debug node (complete msg object)

Click 1 or 8, no status update.
Connect debug node to the slider,
Click 1 or 8, status update received.

1 Like

We can mark this as solved ? :cowboy_hat_face:

No, the slider can be used as a display of a selected value.

So you send it a message of 8 and the slider moves to position 8.

From the web page, you see the value.