Can you save nodes you've customized to the shelf?

hello, I'm finding that in my project I am configuring a lot of nodes that I might want to use in multiple places, etc. is there a way to save these someplace for easy access in the future from within the node red interface?

Hi @Hyperlooper - welcome to the forums

You can indeed.

what you can do, is wrap them in a subflow
subflows are re-usable flows, that you can drag onto your main flow at will, and this subflow, is presented as a single node, that you can drag in as many times as you need

see:
https://nodered.org/docs/user-guide/editor/workspace/subflows

As Marcus says, sub-flows are a great way to create reusable bits of flow.

The other tool available though is the Library. You can Export a single configured node or a flow to the local library and then import it again as many times as you like.

2 Likes

Hi Hyperlooper and welcome.

You can also save flows/nodes/ and function code to the local library using the export menu and in function node editor. Using The Node-Red Library

I was going to post that, expecting to find Export to Library somewhere. I thought it was a sub selection of Export, but it isn't there on my systems. In fact I see it referenced in Using The Node-Red Library but the submenu does not exist for me.

All you need to do is select 1 or more nodes then open the Export menu.

I don't see where it says to export to the library.

I often forget about the library approach, I suppose a footnote to it maybe, is updating the instance(s)?

Would updating a library export retrospectively update all copies instantiated in the flow? - I don't actually know, as I have not (yet) in my time used the library features.

I like creating subflows due to this behaviour in that it will update all copies currently deployed.

1 Like

The library is "just" a collection of JSON files. You can add to it manually too if you like. And, of course, custom nodes can provide entries simply by including json files in an /examples/ folder.

1 Like

Yup I do that - got burned by the scorecard for not doing so! :neutral_face:

1 Like

Oh yes, I thought the Local there meant the local clipboard. Not exactly obvious that Export to library is under Local.

1 Like

The library seems useful - does this show up in the sidebar alongside other available nodes, or do you need to import each time?

No, you have to import from the library.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.