Change NR port to 80 (changes on red.js and settings.js doesn't have effect)

Hi, I'm under windows, under "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\node-red" I've changed on both files:
on red.js settings.uiPort = 80;
and on settings.js uiPort: process.env.PORT || 80
I've restarted NR and keeps run on 1880, should I restart nodejs too? It means restart PC I suppose.
Why it doesn't change?

When you run node-red in a command window it should tell you which settings.js it is using. That is the one you have to change.

1 Like

Generally, you cannot use ports <1024 without running with administrative privileges which opens up other issues and is best not done.

If you wish to hide the Node-RED port from users:

1. You probably shouldn't be using HTTP but rather HTTPS (port 443 by default).
  2. You are generally better off using a reverse proxy. IIS can provide that on Windows or you can install NGINX or similar.

The real question is - what are you trying to achieve by removing the port number?

1 Like

that is the node-red source code. You dont edit that.

You will have a .node-red folder likely in c:\users\Admin\.node-red

In there will be a settings.js file where you can change things.

Alternatively, start node-red with a command line option:

node-red  -p 80

See all options here: Running Node-RED locally : Node-RED

To second what Julian said, what is the goal? To have a prettier URL?

1 Like

thank you mates, sorry for silly question, I've just found a copy of file and I couldn't imagine the main was on another path. Yes the command windows should tell which file is in use, I'll be more careful in future

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.