Change the position of a widget in a dashboard

Im am wonderdring if i could change the position of a widget freely. i’m guessing with a template node. but i cant find any exaples on the internet.

0 Likes

what do you mean freely ? We try to arrange them in order left to right - top to bottom, both widgets within groups and then groups within the page. In the Editor the order can be set how you like.

0 Likes

i need a widget to be all the way under in the dash board without any other widgets

0 Likes

if anyone knows please let me know

0 Likes

Not quite sure what you mean but…
create a group that is as wide as makes sense to fit the page,
ensure it is the last group in the dashboard sidebar list
add whatever widget you want to it.

0 Likes

Here you can see a image of my dashboard and i neede to heb the water level to ben in the buttom of the house where you can see the tanks. so i need to some how be able to dynamicly control the widgets position.

0 Likes

Hi @mammoet

The dashboard layout does not allow for free-form positioning of groups/widgets.

You will need to add placeholder ui_groups to pad out the empty space to get your water level widgets where you need it to be.

0 Likes

okay is it posible to make a widget transparent or some sort?

0 Likes

If you play with enough CSS via a ui_template node, then yes probably. Nothing just out of the box. Something like

.nr-dashboard-theme ui-card-panel {
    background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0);
}
body.nr-dashboard-theme md-content md-card {
    background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0);
}

you’ll have to play around

1 Like

If this was just a basic html page, I would use a CSS position: absolute or position: fixed style (depending on whether it should scroll with the page or not). Then set its location on the page using top: 500px; left: 350px; or whatever I needed. Of course, this would only work if the image is static.

However, since these dashboard widgets are rendered by the Dashboard tab/group logic, I don’t know what would happen to the layout if you pulled some of the parts out of the page flow using absolute/fixed positioning (at a minimum, I’m sure it will make Dave frown ;*)

But it probably wouldn’t hurt to try – use the Dev Console (F12) to locate the <div> of the water level widget, and try modifying its CSS properties in the right-hand panel until it looks right. Then just copy those directives into a ui_template node and see what happens…

0 Likes

It’s “your” dashboard to do what you want with… I’m not going to frown :sunglasses:

0 Likes

What are placeholder ui groups?

0 Likes

I remember Peter Scargill got right into this early in the piece with the NR Dashboard and worked out some custom templates etc - you might want to peruse his blog

https://tech.scargill.net/?s=node-red

Craig

0 Likes

Normal ui_groups that don’t contain any widgets and are only there to fill space.

0 Likes

Hi,
I have the same problem as mammoet. So my question is:
How can I add placeholder ui groups to my dashboard ?

0 Likes

Hit the Add +group button ?

0 Likes

That does not work, it's like hiding the group. The group is not visible
but there's no room between the two other groups

0 Likes

Add a text widget into it with no label ?
Then you can size it however you need

0 Likes

it is still not completely invisible

the first is with an empty template in the placeholder ui_group the second with a text widget.

0 Likes

You will have to do some looking at the page source with an 'inspector' (for example in FireFox it is under the tools->Web Developer->Inspector) to fine the ID of the html element. In my case I get
<ui-card-panel ng-repeat="group in main.selectedTab.items" id="Home_12345_Group_2" ng-if="group.header &amp;&amp; group.header.config &amp;&amp; !group.header.config.hidden" class="ng-scope visible" style="left: 679.5px; top: 6px;"> so I would use

#Home_12345_Group_2,
#Home_12345_Group_2 md-card {
background-color: #000000;
border-color: #000000;
color: #000000;
}

You should also go to the group and uncheck the 'display group name` option

0 Likes