Cheapest (but effective) platform to run NR

Oracle have simplified it quite a lot now, and it's much easier to set up than it was 2 years ago.
There are a few gotcha's though, opening up ports through the firewall for example, but it's easy when you know how😅

I've just gone through the registration sequence and was then asked for a credit card in order to complete the process. Have Oracle debited anything from your card whilst you have been using the facility?

No, it's only to prove your identity and not for incurring charges. There is a 30 day trial that runs alongside the free scheme, so no charges during 30 days anyway. After that, if you did stray outside the free scheme, you would need to set up payment again to join a payed package.
In short, there won't be any charges.

1 Like

What are the security considerations you should think of? Accessing NR with just a user & password seems not enough for me to have good sleep. Does the account include some tools? Like support for certificates and tls for all communication. If you have a MQTT broker running in the cloud and you have local sensors/actuators to communicate with, I would for sure prefer to have a secure MQTT communication for those also

One of the things I like to do with cloud servers is to put firewall controls that prevent any access except from a specific IP address range, namely those of Cloudflare. That makes sure that any entrypoints are accessed only via the Cloudflare edge servers with their additional security and monitoring layers.

I also would not generally allow common service ports to be open for any reason. For example, if I did allow direct SSH access, it would not be on the standard port. That immediately turns away the majority of the dumber bots and makes it easier to see if you are really being targeted.

I take this a step further but deploy NR in a docker stack next to cloudflared. This way the servers never have any open ports. I use the zero trust platform to authenticate against oauth (ms, google, github, etc) before being allowed into the tunnel.

I no longer mess around much with small arm devices, pi's etc, too finnicky, you end up spending 80% of the money for 5% of the performance. One board that sticks out as a favorite in this segment was the Rockpro64. Nowadays I favor used HP G2 and G3 EliteDesks, they are ridiculously inexpensive and very reliable. I typically set up at least 3 machines in a cluster, I use debian headless, docker swarm, portainer, and deploy templates from github.

I am running the Node Red extension of Home Assistant on an Intel NUC i3. It is Node Red plus hooks into Home Assistant. Super easy to set up. Compared to the Raspberry Pi, it's greased lightning. Home Assistant also includes an MQTT broker.

No VM, no Dockers, no ProxMox, no cloud. You can find used NUC's, i3, i5 or i7, for the low $100 on eBay.

BTW, "Headless" doesn't necessarily mean dumbed down or crippled. It can, but it doesn't have to. I have four mini PCs in my basement that I use SSH from my desktop to connect. But if I need to, I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor near the servers to use as needed.

I thought the node red plugin in HA runs in a Docker container.

1 Like

Yes, Home Assistant and the add-ons run in docker containers, but Docker management is completely hidden from the user. It greatly simplifies the setup. I had been using Home Assistant OS for a year before discovering this.

Until the user wants to do something that the container does not allow. Access files in the host system for example, or hardware. Or start node-red in safe mode. There have been a number of instances here of HA users having difficulty because NR is run a Docker container. I am not saying that running in a container is a bad thing, but it is something that the user may need to be aware of, and aware of how to get round that problems that do occur.

2 Likes

a commercial post:
My device is close to rasp pi3B in CPU performence, and the most important thing is that it's in mass production state now, that means you can buy some at anytime.
application video

In my years of running Home Assistant, I have never heard of a user having this issue. You have the option of installing the Home Assistant OS image with all of the complexities of managing docker containers hidden from the user, or install it as a docker on your Debian OS. I prefer the uncomplicated approach.

We've seen enough people struggling with HA here in the forum to be cautious.

2 Likes

Were they having issues with Node Red on Home Assistant, or with Docker?

A bit OT, right??

2 Likes

The point really is that they were having HA/NR issues and they came here. Most people here don't use HA because we don't need it and while we generally try to help, if it seems HA related, we normally direct people back to the HA forum.

Agreed. Lets take to another thread if we want to carry on.

1 Like

Hi, can you tell more about it? I can't find any result about PN6400

I'm testing an Orange PiZero 256MB I bought in past, I've installed Armbian, I can say now that it's working stable and NR uses really few RAM, Around 20/30MB only, so 256MB are incredibly enough for simply usage. Deploy works with reasonable speed, and modules are installing with acceptable delay. I'm really considering to keep this board as reference.
It has also WiFi, GPIO, IR receiver and audio line out by installing extra board, also it can be placed inside a compact box.. a litte cube

Not really. The OP was looking for a platform to run Node Red. I simply offered one possibility.

Glad that you are interesting at our product.
Here is the url of the specific data and ready for purchasing:
PN netgateway
And some videos for you to get more information:
Video

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.