Chromium driving me nuts

I have installed Stretch on my rPi3 recently however I continue to have a long term annoying challenge with Chromium, just as I did with Jessie (pretty much since I got this Pi 2 yrs ago). I do see many others with the same issue and even a suggestion of some sort of Chromium compiler bug that's never been fixed (clang), yet internet searches come up surprisingly void of any help to fix this.

I'll be running along just fine, some times for days while I'm making major code changes, until suddenly, boom, Chromium just disappears. Sometimes a reboot will let me relaunch it but often even a complete power down (as I've just done 3 times) won't solve the issue. I try to launch it, see the hour glass come on which eventually just goes away ... no Chromium. Now instead of coding, I've spent the last 2 hours trying to get Chromium up. Firefox works but seems excruciatingly slow for NR.

Here's what I get when I try to launch chromium-browser in LX terminal:

bootstrap_helper: /usr/lib/chromium-browser/nacl_helper: Cannot open ELF file! errno=2
[1:1:1018/135646.030468:ERROR:nacl_fork_delegate_linux.cc(315)] Bad NaCl helper startup ack (0 bytes)
Segmentation fault

Has anyone else had this re-occuring challenge? Any ideas as to how to repair it?
Thanks
ST