Communication between Node and Config Node

I want to send one input value of Config Node to some other Node which is using that config node.

Is there any way to have communication between both Node?

0 Likes

Given that you posted this in the development channel I’m guessing this is a node you are writing?

If so nodes that share a config node can share the config behind the scenes.

For example if you define a MQTT-IN node with broker details then you can select that config in a MQTT-OUT node.
But you have to do the selection, there is no way that I know of for a node to auto-configure.

0 Likes

Hi Devbrat,

Perhaps I don't understand your question correctly, but I'm developing some nodes at the moment that share data with their config nodes.

I get a reference to the config node:

node.deviceConfig = RED.nodes.getNode(config.deviceConfig); 

And then my node starts listening for data (in my case 'status') changes of that config node:

node.deviceConfig.addListener("onvif_status", node.listener); 

Bart

2 Likes

Ah, good call.

Funnily enough I was thinking about that as well as I've been working on uibuilder v2. I'd thought at one point that using a config node would open up some other possibilities for additional nodes. In fact, in the end this is one thing that stopped me.

I actually have gone for an API-based approach though instead and that might be another approach here. uibuilder now has (extended in v2) some API end-points that let the front-end admin ui and other nodes and even end-users get to additional information. Such as the list of installed front-end libraries available to uibuilder web pages and the full list of all uibuilder end-points deployed.

API's are trivial to implement from a custom node.

0 Likes