Community hardware machinon

I do not know if there is something special in what I use. We have a standard Huawei 4G router providing access to internet via the mobile network (provider is Three.com). We are using the built in wifi hotspot (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Some few RPi's are connected to the same via cable, mainly our VPN server used to handle access from outside. I have to say, the remaining stuff is using the wifi connection (2.4 GHz for all RPi's, 5 GHz for MacBooks, Chromecast streaming etc).

Pictures from Pi connected cameras watching around the house is via our wifi. I have a ui view where all 7 cameras are presented, pictures are updated once every second, no problems.

In general, the 4G is not a rocket performer but stable and "good enough" also for streaming videos. Downloads are around 30 and uploads 5 MBits/s. I hope for 5G to come soon in the future. In the mean time what we have is good enough

Hi Ed,

I see you have spend quite some time on this device. Which is really impressive.

I think the remarks of Walter are also honest and true and to answer your question : at this moment I am not interested in this type of hardware.

Of course this doesn't mean that there would be no interest at all in your product.
A very small fraction of the 7 billion people is more than enough to cover the cost.
So if this is your dream and passion, please don't be stopped by any comments.

Regarding the node-red integration. This is certainly possible. Of course this requires that you have to share or sell or lend a hardware prototype. So I would be more clear on that aspect. This is also not my cup of tea but maybe some others are interested in helping you with that. Maybe at this stage it is not yet needed to have a proper working node-red integration and for indiegogo/kickstarter it is sufficient to make clear that node-red integration will be foreseen in the future.

Best Luck
Jan

Hi Jan,

All feedback is good! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

I have been in contact in coversations with many people, and as you say, very mixed opinions so none of the wiser if it is worth the effort :smiley:

My ambition is more on people using the the device, and for this reason it needs to tick a lot of boxes. I'm toying now with the idea of a much simplified version, a mini version or hat for the RPI if you like. This approach is a lot simpler and far more accessible, just how different with other devices out there?

I'll see how it goes... for sure I will update this post.

Thanks

Ed