Cut: ctrl-delete, Copy: ctrl-insert, Paste: shift-insert

Would be wonderful if Node Red supported the "IBM Common User Access" keys for cut, copy, and paste.

Cut: ctrl-delete, Copy: ctrl-insert, Paste: shift-insert

I have been using these keys for over 30 years, since about Windows 2.1. I always stumble if an application does not support them. If there is a second person like me, then this suggestion will help two people. Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Common_User_Access

you should be able to assign them using the menu - keyboard shortcuts.

Unfortunately not - insert isn't a key our keyboard handling knows about. Will see if we can fix that for 1.3.

Compared to X C V, I always found those shortcuts super awkward to remember (and awkward to finger considering I normally have right hand on the mouse and left hand poised over CTRL and X C V). Are you a southpaw?

The logic behind the X C V shortcuts also suited the way my brain is wired & helped me turn them into muscle memory...
ctrl+x (x looks like scissors for cutting)
ctrl+c (c is for copy)
ctrl+v (v for paste... umm, because its the next key along is guess :slight_smile: )

But I wonder, do some keyboards have X C V keys in a different location? :thinking:

Yes, there is the Dvorak keyboard layout - Wikipedia :grin:

1 Like

The V is like a wedge inserting something at that point...at least that is the way I see it :smile:

1 Like

I am right handed, and have normal hands, but somehow a left pinky on ctrl and then pressing x,c, or v with the same hand has never worked for me. So I have to use two hands anyway. I have used the ctrl-delete, ctrl-insert, and shift-insert keys from the beginning. To me it is super natural and don't even notice that I let go of the mouse.

Also, I am not a big spreadsheet user, but using the keys used in conjunction with ctrl/shift - home, end, and the arrow keys, lets one through a spreadsheet copying and pasting.

2 Likes

Thanks!!!

Wow! I've not come across that for decades now :grin: I built a mainframe terminal version of CUA screens not long after the standards came out - that must be mid-late '80's.

The ones that Steve has listed have been a common standard for a couple of decades now.

Thanks. I am new to node red, had not though about custom shortcuts. By the way, node red is fantastic!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.