Debian - use gpio

HI,

I installed debian 11 some days ago for Rpi 4, but I can't use GPIO. I installed 'node-red-node-pi-gpio' add-on. I'd like to use input, but the message doesn't come when I change the state of GPIO input. Under raspbian it works. Somewhere I read an old article (or forum) that the the gpio doesn't work under debian. Is it true? Is there a solution for the usage of GPIO under debian?

Any vanilla OS doesn't know anything about the Pi GPIO pins

As I mentioned in another similar topic, just a few days ago... Did you follow ALL the instructions for the GPIO node?

This is not a guaranty... only Raspbian will be that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your help, I didn't find this node-red page (I looked for google and node-red pages too), but now I find it. However I get error messages when I run : "sudo pip install RPi.GPIO" command:

I'm not a linux expert, so I don't know what is the reason of error messages?

Can you help me more a little bit?

So why are you installing debian 11 and not Raspibian?

1 Like

@zenofmud: I have used the node-red with Raspbian for some years, so I have some complex subflows which processes zigbee2mqtt devices, but the home assistant knows more devices than node-red and HA dashboard can handle multiple users. Well, I like to HA for UI and device input/output and NR for automatization.
At first, I installed Home Assistant Operating System with node-red, mqtt broker, and zigbee2mqtt add-ons, but the Z2M add-on sends more and a slightly different message than standalone NR with raspbian and I don't want to update my existing NR subflows.
After that, I installed HA container on Rasbian, but it doesn't include HA Supervisor.
This week I installed HA supervised, but I read, it can be installed on Debian.
I had some trouble after installed debian and I try to solve them step by step. Now I have two bugs. One of them this GPIO problem, the other is related to the SD card. I use SSD and the debian looks for SD card evry 10-12 seconds.

Your screen prints of red text on black bckground make it near impossible to read them. I would suggest you use a white background in the future when asking for support.

I won't be able to help since I just use Raspibian and also do not use HA. You might have more success asking on the HA forum.

Yes, I'll try it

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.