Debug node when logged in as read only users

Hello everyone,

I am working in a team, and I am the one who is developing the flows in node-red on remote PC.
I do not want other team mates messing-up the flows/codes.
I want them only to see the output of debug messages, thus I created for them logins as read-only user.

I noticed that when login as read-only users, I can not see the debug node output messages.

This is what I did:
I opened two browsers. On one window I logged in as admin, and on other window I logged in as read-only. Both browsers were opening the same flow.
On read-only window I can click to activate/deactivate debug nodes but did not effect the debug message viewer. Only when I activate/deactivate debug nodes in admin browser the debug message window on both browsers were effected.

Questions:

1. is that the normal behavior of debug node when logged in as read-only user?
  2. how do I allow read-only user to see debug messages if not using debug nodes?

This is the version I use:

└─▪  node-red -v
26 Jan 03:45:08 - [info] 

Welcome to Node-RED
===================

26 Jan 03:45:08 - [info] Node-RED version: v3.1.3
26 Jan 03:45:08 - [info] Node.js  version: v18.19.0
26 Jan 03:45:08 - [info] Linux 6.5.0-0.deb12.1-rt-amd64 x64 LE
26 Jan 03:45:08 - [info] Loading palette nodes

Best regards to you all!

Welcome @iot.regenesis.

As a Read Only user - You cannot modify the state of a node, and enabling the debug node is a form of modification.

The permission needed is actually debug.write.

So maybe you as admin - just deploy the flow with the debug node enabled?
or add the permission to the read only user to allow them to enable the debug node?

Note: I have not tested this myself
@knolleary - would this be correct?

permissions: ["read","debug.write"]

hi @marcus-j-davies

Thanks for the explanation!

I had made their work easier by using flogger node .. no need for them to login to nodered,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.