Debug show full message as default / configurable

Every time you add a new debug node, it defaults to show payload only. Virtually all times I want to see full message. Copying an existing node helps. I get that seeing the full message is confusing to new users or whatever. But for those of us who use this the most, is it any way to change this to always show full message? Perhaps a new feature in next version? It's a small thing, but the most common for me.

3 Likes

I believe the category should be feature request.

1 Like

I must admit that I 2nd this. And setting the Node status message to be a msg count which I also always do. Actually, I'd prefer the node not to show the label either. :slight_smile:

Perhaps these could be options in settings.js?

3 Likes

Thanks for moving to right category. A settings.js option would be great.

1 Like

similar request done here...

1 Like

I am easy if the full message is the default.
When the debug node is set to display the whole message, topic gets displayed twice.

Which is fine for a short topic.
Occasionally I have a complex SQL query in msg.topic and the debug becomes very unwieldy.

If the debug node gets changed, can msg.topic be truncated to say 30 characters at the top of the output?

3 Likes

I would also like this feature, as I almost exclusively configure mine to show complete messages to get the full picture of what is going on at all times. And checking on just one of my instances, it has 700+ debug nodes configured as such (I really should've automated it by now according to XKCD).

1 Like