Hi, I'm trying to launch wore-red from terminal but this is the error I get

25 Nov 17:24:18 - [info]

Welcome to Node-RED

25 Nov 17:24:18 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.19.4
25 Nov 17:24:18 - [info] Node.js version: v8.11.1
25 Nov 17:24:18 - [info] Linux 4.14.79-v7+ arm LE
25 Nov 17:24:21 - [info] Loading palette nodes
25 Nov 17:24:26 - [info] Dashboard version 2.11.0 started at /ui
25 Nov 17:24:27 - [info] Settings file : /usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/settings.js
25 Nov 17:24:27 - [info] Context store : 'default' [module=memory]
25 Nov 17:24:27 - [info] User directory : /home/pi/.node-red
25 Nov 17:24:27 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
25 Nov 17:24:27 - [info] Flows file : /home/pi/.node-red/flows_raspberrypi.json
25 Nov 17:24:27 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:1880/
25 Nov 17:24:27 - [warn]

Your flow credentials file is encrypted using a system-generated key.

If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials
file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter
your credentials.

You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in
your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

25 Nov 17:24:27 - [info] Starting flows
25 Nov 17:24:29 - [info] Started flows
25 Nov 17:24:29 - [red] Uncaught Exception:
25 Nov 17:24:29 - Error: listen EADDRINUSE :::1880
at Object._errnoException (util.js:1022:11)
at _exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1044:20)
at Server.setupListenHandle [as _listen2] (net.js:1367:14)
at listenInCluster (net.js:1408:12)
at Server.listen (net.js:1492:7)
at EventedHTTPServer.listen (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-homekit/node_modules/hap-nodejs/lib/util/eventedhttp.js:60:19)
at HAPServer.listen (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-homekit/node_modules/hap-nodejs/lib/HAPServer.js:158:20)
at Accessory.publish (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-homekit/node_modules/hap-nodejs/lib/Accessory.js:607:16)
at new HAPServiceNode (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-homekit/homekit.js:79:17)
at createNode (/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/red/runtime/nodes/flows/Flow.js:305:18)
at Flow.start (/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/red/runtime/nodes/flows/Flow.js:89:35)
at start (/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/red/runtime/nodes/flows/index.js:328:29)
at tryCatchReject (/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules/when/lib/makePromise.js:845:30)
at runContinuation1 (/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules/when/lib/makePromise.js:804:4)
at Fulfilled.when (/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules/when/lib/makePromise.js:592:4)
at Pending.run (/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules/when/lib/makePromise.js:483:13)

Any pointers? Looks like port 1880 is already in use, I think it happened after a deploy crashed.

Thanks
Lorenzo

0 Likes

I assume this is a Raspberry Pi.

Have you tried to restart ?

How did you perform the install ?? - with the standard script for Node-red etc ?

How are you starting Node-red on the machine normally ?

You could also try

netstat | grep 1880 to see what is attach to that port and then also

ps aux | grep node-red

this will show you if node-red is running and what user it is running under - it will also provide the process ID for you to kill it

Craig

0 Likes

That almost certainly means that node-red is already running. As others have suggested then try a reboot.

0 Likes

Rebooting is the first thing I tried. What I see is in the task manager a node process that keeps being created and it crashes on the terminal after a few seconds. It keeps restarting and crashes continuously.

0 Likes

In a terminal run

node-red-stop
node-red-start

and see what happens. Post the output here if necessary.

0 Likes

Tried that, always the same thing happens: same console output and in the task manager a new "node" process is created, which stays there for a few seconds then it disappears and it gets recreated with different ID. Cycling endlessly.

0 Likes

what happens if you pgrep node ? Is there already an instance of node running.
If not then try node-red blank.json to try starting Node-RED with a new blank flow file...
If that then runs - stop it and then retry with just node-red (so it will use you existing flow file)...
If that then dies then there is something corrupt or a bad node in your flow file. If so you can start with the blank again, load your "old" flow file in an editor - and cut and paste it into the blank flow ( but not hit deploy... until you have worked out what is broken).

1 Like

thanks a lot, I haven't tried this solution; I'll try it and let you know!

0 Likes

I have just been looking at the log you posted at the start again. I don't think there is another node-red process running. The server starts up ok listening on port 1880 then a couple of seconds later the crash occurs, apparently to do with node-red-contrib-homekit, which seems to be trying to start another server on the same port. I suspect that is where the issue is.
[Edit] You said the problem occurred initially when it crashed during a deploy. Was that when you attempted to deploy the homekit node, possibly you have specified port 1880 there, and there is a bug in the homekit node that does not trap the address in use error.

0 Likes

that is correct, there's no other node-red process running. I already had a flow with homekit nodes deployed, I added/modified something and then it crashed. Since then, this keeps happening and node-red cannot launch. kinda frustrating

0 Likes

In that case follow @dceejay's advice.

0 Likes

As per my original question - what are you using to run Node-red - PM2 ? or some other startup script ?

If it is PM2 - you have probably reset it to always restart - so even though Node-red crashes it will try and start it agaiin and go in an endless loop

Craig

0 Likes

no script to launch it, just node-red from the terminal.

0 Likes

Assuming you have the standard Pi install using the install script from the docs then it will be using systemd to start node red. When you run node-red-stop or start that is using the systemd script. That script will automatically restart node-red if it fails which explains why it keeps restarting.
Have you tried it with a blank flow as suggested by @dceejay? Run node-red-stop first to make sure it is not already running.

0 Likes

I've already tried running node-red-stop and the same keeps happening. The only thing I have left to try is @dceejay's solution, which I'll try later today. I'll let you know and thanks for the many feedbacks!

0 Likes

so, turns out the actual problem was in my flows; I launched node-red with a blank flows file and it worked, then launched again my original file and it died. So, I wiped my flows file and it works again. Luckily I had exported my flows so I saved 99% of my work.

Thanks everyone for the help!

0 Likes

You should have been able to Import/paste back in your broken flw and try to fix it up... but yes backups always good..

There is actually a one level backup kept as .flows_{yourflowname}.json.backup which is the previous version before deploy - so sometimes that can just be renamed flows_{yourflowname}.json to get you going again.

0 Likes