Node-red will not start anymore

Node-red v0.18.7 was working fine until this morning, however now it will not start anymore.
Running it on my raspberry 3B+ with Node-red start will give this error:

11 Feb 11:49:54 - [info] Starting flows
11 Feb 11:49:54 - [info] Started flows
11 Feb 11:49:54 - [red] Uncaught Exception:
11 Feb 11:49:54 - Error: listen EADDRINUSE
    at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:1020:11)
    at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1043:20)
    at Server._listen2 (net.js:1271:14)
    at listen (net.js:1307:10)
    at net.js:1417:9
    at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:83:11)
    at process._tickDomainCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:128:9)

Rebooting the pi didn't solve the problem.
Someone an idea what could be the problem?

You’ve installed a node that’s not programmed to handle an error correctly.

How to fix it? - far easier in the next version
but for now start with a new flow file (see docs) reimport flows and delete node before deploying

or uninstall node on command line and try restarting node-red

you should also open an issue on the nodes github page to make the author aware so it can be fixed

The error is fairly clear, there is already something running that uses that port.

The implication is that you have another intsance of Node-RED already running.

If you installed using the standard method - e.g. Dave's script - then systemd should be running your "live" version.

That is not the right command, that will try to start node red even if it is already running, which it probably is. The command is

I restored flow backup from 3 days ago. Then Everything is working fine, however the node-red has an cpu load of 100%.
Restoring a flow backup from 10 days ago made everything working again with normal cpu load.

There must be a problem with some changes I made to flows the last 10 days. Strange because it worked fine until this morning. Will have a look at it in detail when at home again tonight.

Thanks for the help

I did some testing and it looks like that the Bigtimer node gave problems.
Deleted the node (was not using it yet) and NR works flawless again.

Looking at other topics on the NR forum here I was not the only one that had problems this weekend with Bigtimer :wink:

A bit old post, but showing up on Google when try to fix the issue.
I found that was not running.
To start it on RaspberryPi:


Please start a new thread as a lot has changed in 3 years :slight_smile: