Email node will stop working with Gmail. Is there an alternative?

Hi.
Google will no longer allow Gmail access using smtp or through less secure apps.
I searched but did not find a alternative. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

The node readme suggests using an 'app password' as described Sign in with App Passwords - Gmail Help

Are you saying that this does not work??

It seems this option will stop working also.

Can you provide a link to where you found that information?

English is not my first language, I may misunderstood.

The last section of that link mentions 'app passwords' so I assume that they will still continue to work.

You can try this option. It uses powershell so, you would need to be running on a windows machine:

https://flows.nodered.org/flow/6eef931189ce2697f7747dc976774367

1 Like

An App Password is a 16-digit passcode that gives a less secure app or device permission to access your Google Account. App Passwords can only be used with accounts that have 2-Step Verification turned on.

Can you explain how an unattended IOT device is supposed to use 2-Step Verification (also known as two-factor authentication)? My Beaglebone and Raspberry Pi do not have access to my phone!

In order to set up app passwords you must enable 2 factor verification.
But using an app password bypasses the 2FA.

1 Like

I am currently using node-red 2.2.1. I have tried changing the password to under 8 characters long. Changed gmail to outlook, setup 2 step verifcation etc etc. I am still getting the following error -
Error: Invalid login: 535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at↵535 5.7.8 Check Gmail through other email platforms - Gmail Help z3-20020a1cf403000000b0037d1f4a2201sm9865

Are you trying to send email from Node-red or to receive email?

What made you think that changing your password to less than 8 characters might help - are you following a how-to that might be out of date?

I can't understand "Changed gmail to outlook". It doesn't seem likely that settings to use a gmail account would work for a Microsoft email account.

Have you generated an app password for your gmail account? Does it not work?

How do you have the email node set up?

I already tried the App Password using the node-red-email node and it works fine.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.