Error in CMD prompt console running node-red - ENOENT /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket -

Good Day.
I have installed node red per the official Win-10 node red installation -
22 May 16:37:05 - [info] Node-RED version: v3.0.2
22 May 16:37:05 - [info] Node.js version: v20.1.0

I open a cmd console, type node-red at command prompt and the runtime text scrolls by, ending with:
22 May 16:37:08 - [info] Starting flows
22 May 16:37:08 - [info] Started flows.
Node red runs fine in the browser thereafter, but in the cmd console there is an error occurring every few seconds:
Error connecting to dbus: Error: connect ENOENT /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
Error connecting to dbus: Error: connect ENOENT /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket, etc

What does this mean and what do I need to do to correct this? It does not seem to fail anything, node-red seems to run fine, but error messages I may need are lost in the above texts.

I think that is a very new version of node.js, have you recently upgraded to that version?

It was a new, first time, install - first time I am using node red under Win-10. I just followed the instructions on the Node Red Instal page, for Windows installation.

Ah, you are using Windows. What dbus node are you using and does it support Windows?

I ask because the errors are showing a LINUX file path and not a Windows one.

Thanks for responding - and forgive my ignorance. Rather new at this..
I don't know what a Dbus node is...I did the installation for windows as per the instructions, so am not sure where I went wrong and digging to understand what Dbus is it is indicated as relevant in the Linux world, not windows, so how it this occurs in the installation I am not sure..
Perhaps I should do a re-install and read the instructions again very carefully..

OK, so have you installed any other nodes using Node-RED's palette manager? If so, which ones?

Yes, a handful -
I am using node red to manage a Victron off-grid solar system and a 12kW heat pump - these items are all accessed via Modbus RTU and Modbus TCP.
So the nodes I have installed are: node-red, logic, victron ( interfaces created by victron to interface to their hardware), calc, controltimer, Modbus, sum, Victron-modbus and dashboard.
The Dbus issue occurs even with a simple flow , eg, an inject node into a debug node.

OK, I don't use modbus so those nodes don't mean much to me I'm afraid.

What you will need to do is go through and look at the readme for each one and find out which of them does not support Windows.

Search for dbus in .node-red/package.json. If it occurs there then post the file here. If it doesn't then search in package-lock.json and see if it occurs there, by working up the hierarchy there you can see which node is pulling it in.

Thank You for the info. I will try that and let you know.

Thanks for you advice - I found the issue - package.json lists this:

{
"name": "node-red-project",
"description": "A Node-RED Project",
"version": "0.0.1",
"private": true,
"dependencies": {
"@mschaeffler/node-red-logic": "~0.7.1",
"@victronenergy/node-red-contrib-victron": "~1.4.32",
"node-red-contrib-calc": "~1.0.5",
"node-red-contrib-controltimer": "~0.3.0",
"node-red-contrib-modbus": "~5.26.0",
"node-red-contrib-sum": "~0.1.1",
"node-red-contrib-victron-modbus": "~0.1.2",
"node-red-dashboard": "~3.4.0"
}
}

and in lock.json Dbus is in node-red-contrib-victron
In the developers explanation of that node's operation, it indicates Linux usage, so there is the problem.
I need only a few Modbus reads to the Victron equipment and it was convenient to use that contrib. but I will just do the reads with Modbus read nodes - it's not much data.

Thanks for all the assistance.
Thank you again for your help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.