Recently some forum members helped me controlling my garage door openers via Node-RED, which works fine at the moment. However using the dashboard for this purpose is currently a bit impractical: I need to grab my smartphone, open the dashboard app, navigate to the button to open the ports. So the whole process is a bit slow ...
So the wife asked: is it possible to have the dashboard open a popup dialog automatically (to ask whether the garage door should be opened), as soon as we approach our house at e.g. 200 meters. Although there are nice tutorials (e.g. to use the OwnTracks app) to determine your location, I would like to create a custom UI node because:
- I always try to avoid having to install multiple tools to get the job done.
- I would like to have it fully integrated into Node-RED to be able to control everything.
- I just like to develop fun stuff ...
So the last two hours I quickly wrote a node-red-contrib-ui-geolocation node:
- Since it is fully experimental, it is not on Github available yet.
- It is based on the HTML5 GeoLocation API.
- Would like to have in the future multiple trigger types (to specify when a message needs to be send to my Node-RED flow):
- Currently it shows some ugly output in the dashboard:
- And it sends an output message already to my Node-RED flow:
But I don't know at the moment whether it is useful anyway to continue the development of this node...
Because this would mean my Node-RED dashboard should be active all the time on my smartphone.
So there might be issues with power consumption, connection lost, gsm in sleep mode, and so on ...
Would like to know how I can use the dashboard to make things like this possible?