Format for Alexa Applestrudel Custom Text Command?

I am at a loss to figure out the JSON format for the Alexa Applestrudel node for a text command. I have it working for "speak" but just can't get it right for "text command".

I do not think one is defined for custom setting.

You can feed in a string msg properties for command and device, if set for textcommand
e.g.

[{"id":"cd9b8bf8.ead0c8","type":"alexa-remote-routine","z":"bf9e1e33.030598","name":"","account":"c8738129.d902c","routineNode":{"type":"textCommand","payload":{"text":{"type":"msg","value":"payload"},"devices":{"type":"msg","value":"topic"}}},"x":400,"y":140,"wires":[["c9c82a4a.804d18"]]},{"id":"c9c82a4a.804d18","type":"debug","z":"bf9e1e33.030598","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"true","targetType":"full","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":600,"y":140,"wires":[]},{"id":"55ff61e8.c4ce78","type":"inject","z":"bf9e1e33.030598","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"Lounge","payload":"turn  lounge 1 to 5 percent","payloadType":"str","x":120,"y":140,"wires":[["cd9b8bf8.ead0c8"]]},{"id":"c8738129.d902c","type":"alexa-remote-account","name":"alexa remote 2","authMethod":"proxy","proxyOwnIp":"localhost","proxyPort":"3456","cookieFile":"","refreshInterval":"14","alexaServiceHost":"layla.amazon.co.uk","amazonPage":"amazon.co.uk","acceptLanguage":"en-GB","userAgent":"","useWsMqtt":"on","autoInit":"off"}]

Enter your command and device in the inject node.

Ah, thanks. I was not aware that if you changed the view of the devices it changed the type of input as well.

Thanks

What is a "text command"?

In the routine node you can send a text command, anything you would say to alexa e.g "turn on lounge light" , "what is the weather", etc.

I don't believe that I'm just finding out about this now!!! :slight_smile:

Has it been a facility for a long time?

On Github, I think since some 3 years. Up to version 5 now, started at 1

1 Like

The feature was added to the remote2 plain.sh in december 2020

2020-12-12: v0.17 added textcommand which lets you send anything via CLI you would otherwise say to Alexa

Only missed it for a year then :slight_smile:

I thought it might be of interest to share what I am using this capability for.

I have automated my house via Alexa using these nodes. But it bothers me to have my home automation commands going out to the cloud and back.

So I have recently installed Rhasspy on a Pi and my home ubuntu server and am now using that for all of the home automation commands. Working fairly well so far.

What I am using the text command for is to send any verbal request given Rhasspy that Rhasspy does not understand as a home automation command to Alexa via the text command. Then I route the Alexa response back through Rhasspy to the originating Rhasspy satellite. It is a little delayed but works so far. I will continue with some tweaks to make it flawless.

1 Like

At the moment, I am using an old Pi to convert text to speech and I've wired the output of it to headphones and glued headphone earpiece next to mic input on a cheap Alexa Flex

All works well

But when I saw about this text command - I thought - I'll be able to send my desired command direct to the Flex :slight_smile:

But (as with everything to do with this sort of thing) it doesn't work for the thing I want it work for

i.e
If I say tell my pi to say "Alexa, ask cheerlights to change to colour red" - my pi speaks this into my Flex and the flex responds correctly

But if I send the text command "ask cheerlights to change to colour red" - I'm getting "cheerlights isn't responding"

So it's failed straight out of the box for me :frowning:

I'll stick with my "acoustic coupler" method for now :slight_smile:

Did you to the init for applestrudel where you had to enter your Amazon userid and password?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.