GRBL Controller

Can I program a Grbl controller with Node Red? If so, how does the serial port work? Ps.: I use an upgraded GRBL 1.1 control board.

Probably.

You add a serial out node and send it data (string or buffer)

You use a serial in node to capture responses.

Your issue will likely by how to format the data into the correct structure. for this, there are several libraries on npm that you could potentially use in a function node. See this article on how to import npm modules.

How to use a serial out node?

Add one to the workspace, set up its connection details, send it a string or buffer.

Are you brand new to node-red?

Yes, I'm brand new to Node Red, so I don't know much about it. I need it for a project of mine because I want to display a user interface via a touchscreen. I need the CNC controller (GrBL) because I want to control stepper motors and want to display this visually on the dashboard. Thank you for your help.

I recommend watching this playlist: Node-RED Essentials. The videos are done by the developers of node-red. They're nice & short and to the point. You will understand a whole lot more in about 1 hour. A small investment for a lot of gain.

As for serial node specifics, once you have a basic understanding of node-red, you should easily be able to use the serial nodes but there are also LOTS of threads on the serial port in this forum.

OK, thank you very much for your help, I'll have a look around the forum and watch some YouTube.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.