Help with "Module not locally installed.."

I'll have to jump in here now.

I too am having problems with some of the nodes and I was sent to this thread.

Ok, I get what needs to be done as pointed out by dceejay in an early post.

But.......

I

sudo npm uninstall node-red-node-rbe

as stated. I then go to the machine's Node-red edit page and it says rbe is still installed.
Therefore I can't:

then you can re-install it from the palette.

So I am guessing that a NR restart is called for?
(If it is, it would have been nice if that was stated in the reply.)

Anyway, this is just put here for clarity and I do hope that a restart will fix the problem.

Also, as I am reading I see people have problems with their serial port node, and others.
I am guessing they are suffering the same problem as the rbe node.

After the uninstall I get this message:

pi@MusicPi:~/.node-red $ sudo npm uninstall node-red-node-rbe
npm WARN node-red-project@0.0.1 No repository field.
npm WARN node-red-project@0.0.1 No license field.

audited 155 packages in 6.486s
found 2 low severity vulnerabilities
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details
pi@MusicPi:~/.node-red $ 

So would the npm audit fix resolve the problem/s rather than uninstalling, rebooting/restarting and reinstalling?

This is a bit worrying for one of my machines:

pi@TelePi:~/.node-red $ sudo npm uninstall node-red-node-rbe
npm WARN node-red-project@0.0.1 No repository field.
npm WARN node-red-project@0.0.1 No license field.

audited 2062 packages in 124.707s
found 100 vulnerabilities (19 low, 67 moderate, 14 high)
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details

Having fun with the other machines too....

There's little point in trying to uninstalling the node, it will only be replaced next time you update node-RED.

Hi @Trying_to_learn

You do not need to uninstall the nodes.

As long as you are using Node-RED 0.19.4 or later, the only step you need to take is to npm install the newer version of them in ~/.node-red. Node-RED will take care of the rest.

The npm command line tool know nothing about Node-RED. There's no way it would know to say anything about it.

The npm audit warnings are a completely separate matter and I do not want to derail this topic with them. If you want to discuss them, start a new topic.

Yeah, but I am only going on what was said.

(for clarity)

It's a core node so is under the main node-red global install (as you have shown). So you do need to use sudo to remove it from the correct place

cd /usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules
sudo npm uninstall node-red-node-rbe

then you can re-install it from the palette. BUT if you upgrade the core we will re-install it for you

To further confuse the situation: it was said to uninstall the node.

I have since discovered that after the uninstall, if I install the node (from the CLI/terminal) and restart NR, all is good.

But thanks Paul and Nick for the replies.

I'm going through updating about 10 Pi's just now with this problem.
And as you may have seen, there are/were some problems with some of the machines.

To the best of my knowledge, all of them are up to date with NR 19.4

I think it would avoid future confusion if @dceejay could edit his post above which suggested uninstalling the node...

I have moved this to the #faqs category which allows me to mark my response as the answer - this then gets displayed embedded in the original question, so hopefully helps users coming to this topic in the future.

Read a couple of posts on from the one you quoted and you will see that it was pointed out that in fact it was not necessary to uninstall the global version, just install it locally and that one will override the global one.

Truth is a function of time.

Do you have a reason that you need the later version of rbe?

Given the original issue has been solved, answer provided and moved to the FAQ category, I'm locking this topic from any further updates. Any further discussion on tangential items can be made in a new topic

2 Likes