How to uninstall Node-Red

Hey all, new here and TOTALLY new to Node-Red. Ive never used it before, and I was just looking into it. Well, I installed it with the script that is given in the tutorial for Ubuntu or Debian based systems:

bash <(curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/node-red/linux-installers/master/deb/update-nodejs-and-nodered)

Now, I cant figure out how to completely remove it from my system... any suggestions?

I'm on Ubuntu 19.10.

1 Like

Depends just how clean you want to make things.

1. sudo npm -g remove node-red
  2. sudo npm -g remove node-red-admin
  3. rm -R ~/.node-red

Should do everything important. That does leave node.js installed though along with npm. To remove those, you can use something like (I've never tested this because I've never wanted to remove node,js from a device):

sudo apt-get remove nodejs
3 Likes

I'm building a new image at the moment so I'll test that out and report back

1 Like

thank you guys. It's not that I don't want to use it, I just don't know how yet, and I am weird about having all of these things (knowingly) on my rigs that I don't use. I'll try this now and report back.

Ok, so I tried all of that, and it seems to have done it. But after a reboot, there is still a "Node-RED" Program icon in my program drawer (using gnome). Would this mean that there is something still left behind? It doesn't do anything when I try to open it.

Also, all of the services that it created (the script) should be removed with this?

No, that is gnome - it has a disconnected entry for its menu's, I've never liked that though other OS's have similar issues too.

Good point, you need to go hunt down the service script for systemd and delete it.

wow you're quick to respond haha. Found the service, disabled it. I'll try to find out a way to get rid of the icon. Be back soon!

I figured it out. Just go into /usr/share/applications and either set NoDisply=true, or just delete it, and of course restart the desktop ( CTRL + F2 r and press enter).

2 Likes