Identifying a mobile device

Hot damn it works :joy::joy::joy: so it was this simple. I also made my ip static on my wifi and i turned off MAC adress randomization... lets test this...
Thank you so much man​:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Yup!

For a HTTP IN Node with /let-me-in say

it will be http://x.x.x.x:1880/let-me-in
Just name the shortcut (not comment :laughing: ) give it a nice icon etc etc, add to Home Screen

1 Like

Already did... tested and it is working. Even tested it with VPN :ok_hand::grin: Thank you again

2 Likes

@TadyTheFish

I wouldn't use the index of the header, there is no guarantee of its order.
instead, just query the header property directly.

msg.req.headers["MyHeader"] === "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"

1 Like

Good point👌 thank you

Doesn‘t this mean that anybody who knows the MAC address of allowed devices can open the door by using the same MAC address?

The Shorcut is used on the local network. But that's a good question, Apple uses a different MAC address per network. Maybe the hardware address of the image does not change.

Yes, but nothing stopping you improving it. like adding a secret key in the headers.
its just "a way" to identify an allowed device.

"Private Wi-Fi address" will use a MAC per network as you said.
so if you disable that - then the same MAC is used for all networks - prop not recommended to disabling it for this use case.

1 Like

Yeah it is very possible to hack but like I said for an average thief, kicking down the door woul be way wasier than hacking my wifi and then monitoring traffic and waiting for me to open the door. If you would know anything about camera doorbells you can notice that almost all use a contact for opening the lock is on the outside unit. So it is just a matter of ripping the camera off the wall and shorting two wires...so this is just for my conveniance :grin:

1 Like

Well, I guess, as long as you know the flaws and limitations, it is OK.

1 Like

I used this library on a esp01 to determine if my mobile is in the neigbourhood of my wifi network:
GitHub - skickar/FriendDetector: ESP8266 friend detector.
I used the serial output of the esp01 to give a sign when my mobile was detected.

I stopped experimenting with the library about a year ago because I had other projects to finish but it seemed promising.

2 Likes

I think I saw this sometime but I think iOS or other mobile devices by default change the MAC because of tracking. Thank you for sharing this

1 Like

True for the newer iPhones but you can switch off spoofing per network i.e. your network:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.