Install failed - Node-red-contrib-modbus

Here is the log. Failed several times. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum,

Please read the log...

network In most cases you are behind a proxy or have bad network settings.
network This is a problem related to network connectivity.
If you are behind a proxy, please make sure that the
network 'proxy' config is set properly. see: 'npm help config'

We can't help you if we don't have more information on the hardware you're running Node-RED on.

In future please copy/paste log outputs and similar. I was going to check whether I can access that url, but I can't because I cannot copy it from an image.

1 Like

Luckily OSX has built in text detection (but its not always perfect) :nerd_face:

https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/iniationware-gmbh/plus4nodered/npm/open-p4nr/modbus-serial/8.1.0/modbus-serial-8.1.0.tgz#_gl=1*oezs8a*_gcl_au*NDk2NjE5MzkwLjE2ODc1MDQxODk.

the link seems fine

:shushing_face:

(we will make them want)

1 Like

Sorry, I'm new. I appreciate the help. It looks like my company's network settings are probably blocking the install from downloading the needed file from that site (very likely). Does that seem like it's probably all that's going on? I don't suppose there's a way I can just move that file to where it needs to be manually... Thanks again!

If you have the file...

1. place it in the .node-red directory (and remain in here after)
    usually ~/.node-red

so : ~/.node-red/modbus-serial-8.1.0.tgz

2. Run the following from this same directory
    npm install ./modbus-serial-8.1.0.tgz

3. proceeded to install the node module as you have been trying in Node RED.
    Because you installed the needed dependency manually - it may stop it from trying to download

Untested of course - but should work.

1 Like

I think you would be better to ask your company IT department for assistance. Many companies will consider it a serious issue to install s/w from sources they block.

2 Likes

Absolutely! The issue isn't that the site is blocked but rather the pc I'm using has no internet access at all other than a few whitelisted sites and I am installing nodes from a remote pc that does have internet. Either way, I appreciate the reminder and I always check first.

If the PC is the same architecture and OS (and version) and nodejs version then you can install on the PC and copy the whole .node-red folder to the other machine.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.