Installation directory of Node-red in Beaglebone black with Node-red preinstalled

Hello,

I have flashed my BBB eMMC with the latest Debian buster and which has the Node-red already installed. Flashing goes well and Node-red runs automatically and it opens ok in browser. But the problem I face is that I can't find Node-red installation directory, to be able to edit the settings.js file. It is supposed to be here /root/.node-red, but I can't find it there. Also I am logged as a root user while searching for it. Is there any command where I can search for this file, because I am pretty new to Linux and Node-red?

On a RasPi it is:

/home/pi/.node-red

Do you have any users in the /home directory?

Yes, it is /home/debian/bin# and "bin" is the only directory inside "debian". I tried to install again Node-red with this command "sudo npm i -g --unsafe-perm node-red", then the .node-red directory is created, but it appears that this is another installation. Not the installation which runs automatically after startup. If I try to stop the node-red, it shows this message, even node-red opens well in browser.
root@beaglebone:~/.node-red# sudo service node-red stop
Failed to stop node-red.service: Unit node-red.service not loaded.

Sorry. I'm out of ideas.

On BBB I think it is ./var/lib/node-red/.node-red/settings.js

If you run sudo service nodered restart
then tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep Node-RED
you should see the startup debug that will print it out.

PS there seems to be some sort of bug with the GPIO overlays in latest updates (on web) - so stick with the vanilla SD card version for a while if you want to use GPIO)

1 Like

Thank you dceejay! That's what I was searching for.

Thank you anyway!

No problems.

All the best, and good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.