Finding settings.js

Hi all

I am having a big problem finding the settings.js file in my NR install. I am running it on Rasbian Stretch, and I have tried to update it with the script in the documentation:

bash <(curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/node-red/raspbian-deb-package/master/resources/update-nodejs-and-nodered)

Unfortunately, the directory still only yields:
lib node_modules package.json package-lock.json

How can I find the settings.js file (or create it) so I can edit it?
(I have done a directory search, many reboots, and many reinstalls)

Thanks!

0 Likes

should be in your .node-red (notice the dot) directory within the home account of the user you are running Node-RED as.

The path is also listed in the startup messages when you restart node-RED.

0 Likes

If you run, in a terminal

node-red-stop
node-red-start

then the startup messages will show you where settings.js is. Since you installed using the pi script then, as @ukmoose said, it should be in the .node-red folder in the home folder of the user that you were logged in as when you ran the script.

0 Likes

Unfortunately it is not there.

0 Likes

It is only copied there after you run Node-RED the first time.

0 Likes

Thanks everyone!

So, there was no settings file for the first few times that I ran the stop and start, as @Colin suggested, but I rebooted the Pi a few times and redid the stop/start a number of times, and it eventually appeared. Not sure why that was the case, but thank you for your help!

0 Likes

When you ran it those first few times what did the start log say about the settingsfile?
If it said that it was in .node-red as expected then perhaps it was a caching issue with whatever you were using to determine whether the file was there or not.

0 Likes

I don't recall seeing any indication of a settings file at all, but that program ran smoothly. This was the main source of confusion; the whole NodeRed install seemed to be running without any settings at all.

I used exactly the same commands to open the directory now to see if the file was in there - I can't really think how I could have done it differently this time. Perhaps I started with:

node-red-start
node-red-stop
0 Likes

@SolarPilz
Have a look here: RED-settings

It returns some infos about node-red:

"nodeRedVersion": "0.19.5",
"dsmVersion": "0.13.4",
"coreNodesDir": "/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/nodes",
"userDir": "/home/pi/.node-red",
"settingsFile": "/home/pi/.node-red/settings.js",
"logging": "info",