Settings file nonexistant after install

Hi, I am new to Node-RED, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I couldn't find the answer.

So, I just installed Node-Red, following the instructions from the Getting Started page (https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/windows) and it will not start. I get this error:
Error loading settings file: \Users\FrancoisStArnaud\.node-red\settings.js

I checked, and the file is not there. I am also unable to launch the extension in VS Code, don't know if there is a link between the two issues.

I have node v12.18.2 and npm 6.14.5

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure that is correct? Can you copy from the CMD terminal.

Normally it'll be c:\users\username\.node-red\settings.js

Hi @Steve-Mcl,

There is actually a "" before .node-red, I corrected the original message.

There is a file named settings.js in my folder C:\Users\FrancoisSt-Arnaud\node_modules\node-red, can I copy it directly in \Users\FrancoisStArnaud\.node-red\ and run the "node-red" command?

I don't think you have installed correctly. Looks like you missed the -g part (I could be wrong). I would try again.

Run an CMD terminal as administrator then run npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red

Ps, delete that node_modules folder from your user folder.

Seems like you were right. I deleted the .node-red and node_modules folders, then re-installed in CMD as admin (I had previously installed in PowerShell). It worked! The settings.js file has been created, I can launch node-red and even connect in the web brower!

Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.