Installing Node-Red for specific OS without internet connection

Hey, all.

I've browsed quite a few forum topics but haven't found a sufficient answer to this question.

I would like to run node-red on an isolated Red Hat system with no internet connection. This is assuming that the system already has Node.js installed.

My assumed process would be as follows:

1. Aquire the node-red packages that are suitable for the operating system and CPU architecture
  2. Copy them to a flash drive
  3. Move them to the new system and put them in the proper Node directories.
  4. Use npm to install as normal

So my question is, is this process viable?

If so, how do I get ahold of the node-red packages that target a specific OS and architecture? (RedHat and x86 in my case).

Thanks!

Hi @Reaverund

Welcome to the forums.

personally (and I could be wrong here)
I think you're going to have a hard time if trying to install with no internet.

Node RED has 11 Dependencies
each of these has further Dependencies, @node-red/editor-api alone has 17
(@node-red/editor-api being a Dependency)

I'm sure others around here can provide better answers, but this will be a looong Dependency walk to gather all requires packages

EDIT:
One potential.
install Node RED locally on a machine bearing the same platform specifics (to ensure any compiled packages are compatible with the target host) and package up the installed environment and move it to its permanent home, its a really messy way, but still an option.

After all, Node RED is still just a NodeJS app (installed into node_modules)

Yes, that is the easiest way to do it. If the Alternate Installer is used then node-red is installed under the user folder so it is easier to move everything across.

2 Likes

Question: Are the dependencies contained within the Node-Red source, such that I could build it locally and not have any issues, or would I still need to install all dependencies to run from source?

@TotallyInformation would have to confirm, but I believe that if you use his alternate install to install onto an identical system then you could just copy the whole folder hierarchy across and it would work. You would need to install nodejs onto the machine though.

1 Like

You are correct. If you install node-red in the "standard" way, you have things in multiple locations and will struggle. If, on the other hand, you install as a more normal node.js application - which is what my alternate installer does - everything is self-contained within the master folder and you can simply copy everything over as long as your initial install is on the same type of platform.

1 Like

Julian’s alternative installer is the “easiest” answer, but you still need nodejs installed first. So a complete disk image clone may be another way.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.