Installing NR on latest Openplotter

Just clean installed latest Openplotter on rpi and seems to work, but when I try install NR using standard Bash script, got this msg:

Running Node-RED install for user pi at /home/pi on raspbian

Node-RED v2 no longer supports Nodejs 10. Please update.

You can use the old v1 branch by specifying --nodered-version=1.*

You can force an install of node 12 or 14 by using the --node12 or --node14 parameter
However doing so may break some nodes that may need re-installing manually.
Generally it is recommended to upgrade all nodes to their latest versions before upgrading.

Please backup your installation and flows before upgrading.

Exiting now.

Not sure what to do next.
Thanks,
Ken

I had same thing. I just added the --node14 to the end of the bash script and it updated my NodeJS as part of the installation.

pi@raspberrypi3:~ $ node -v
v14.17.1

What command exactly did you run? The main script should not be defaulting to Node-RED 2.0 yet as it is still in beta.

Me or the OP?

According to my RPi history I used this (the 2nd time)...

bash <(curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/node-red/linux-installers/master/deb/update-nodejs-and-nodered) --node14

After following this page...

Hi @knolleary ,
I downloaded Openplotter latest imge file.
After installation, shows:

pi@openplotter:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster

pi@openplotter:~ $ node -v
v10.24.1

All working fine, then I cut & paste the script as per Running on Raspberry Pi : Node-RED, and was expecting:
the script to:

• remove the pre-packaged version of Node-RED and Node.js if they are present
  • install the current Node.js LTS release using the NodeSource. If it detects Node.js is already installed from NodeSource, it will ensure it is at least Node 12, but otherwise leave it alone
  • install the latest version of Node-RED using npm,
    but got the "Node-RED v2 no longer supports Nodejs 10. Please update".

It appears that the script is trying to install NRv2, even then I would have thought that it would also update the node version?

Please post here the contents of the install log file (/var/log/nodered-install.log).

apologies - got slightly ahead of myself with the wording in the script.
yes the new version does require you to specify the nodejs version - but it will still only install Node-RED v1 as that is still "latest" - so doing as Gunnar suggest should work.
(I have removed the v2 words for now :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.