Linux cloud service

I've updated my original post for installing/configuring on the Oracle Cloud to mention securing with username/password as well as posted a link to a new post that shows how to set up CertBot with Let's Encrypt to generate a valid cert. Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you do try out the always free VM on Oracle Cloud and have any other feedback or questions.

Original Post (now updated):

New Post:

2 Likes

Great! Nice write up Todd @recursivecodes
I've just purchased a .tech domain name from namecheap.com (Ā£1.60p for 12 months!) to fully evaluate the Oracle VM hosting, but I'm away from home till next week, so haven't got SSH access until then....

Just one observation on the tutorial; in the section 'Creating a certificate' you copy the new certificates to /home/opc/.node-red/certs/ and then create a script to automatically move renewed certs to the same folder.
But, in 'Deploying a site with your new certificate' the path that you have included in node-RED settings is /etc/letsencrypt/live instead of /home/opc/.node-red/certs/
(or simply ('certs/cert.pem'), should also work?)

Ahh, that's definitely a typo on my behalf. It won't work if you point to the LE directory (permissions). Thanks, I'll update the post!

1 Like

Hi Todd @recursivecodes

I think there's a small typo in the latest tutorial, should sudo firewall-cmd ā€”reload be sudo firewall-cmd ā€”-reload
otherwise it errors firewall-cmd: error: unrecognized arguments: -reload

Also, I'm having problems copying the certificates to .node-red/certs.
If I run cp /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.co.uk/*.pem /home/opc/.node-red/certs/

I get cp: cannot stat ā€˜/etc/letsencrypt/live/myserver.co.uk/*.pemā€™: Permission denied

adding sudo, I get cp: cannot stat ā€˜/etc/letsencrypt/live/myserver.co.uk/*.pemā€™: No such file or directory

If I check ownership;

sudo ls -la /etc/letsencrypt/live/myserver.co.uk/`
total 4
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root  93 Oct 29 21:11 .
drwx------. 3 root root  52 Oct 29 21:11 ..
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  48 Oct 29 21:11 cert.pem -> ../../archive/myserver.co.uk/cert1.pem
(Plus the other 3 certs)

Doing the same with the symlink locations;

sudo ls -la /etc/letsencrypt/archive/myserver.co.uk/cert1.pem

I get;

-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1935 Oct 29 21:11 /etc/letsencrypt/archive/myserver.co.uk/cert1.pem

I eventually got there!!

Before the command in the guide cp /etc/letsencrypt/live/node-red.toddrsharp.com/*.pem /home/opc/.node-red/certs/ it's necessary to change to 'root' privileges by entering sudo su, then everything thereafter runs smoothly.
Prefacing 'sudo' to the command instead, does not work, and results in error messages.
Also, in the section;

domain=[your domain name]
node_dir=/path/to/cert/copy/dir
node_user=opc

is

domain=your_domain_name
node_user=opc

(no square brackets!)

Got mine going as well thanks to the @recursivecodes instructions

Wish I'd read @Paul-Reed notes before I did but worked out the --reload and the sudo for the certs myself :slight_smile:

One question though - do we not have to alter

to be

node_dir=/home/opc/.node-red/certs

???

1 Like

Yes, that's correct.
I've just created a TIG Stack (Telegraf, Influx & Grafana) in my second 'free' instance which is working really well, and have used the same shell script to copy the certs, and change their ownership.

#!/bin/bash

domain=dashboard.digitalnut.co.uk
node_dir=/etc/grafana/certs
node_user=grafana

cp /etc/letsencrypt/live/$domain/*.pem "$node_dir"/
chown $node_user "$node_dir"/*.pem

Once you get it all running smoothly, you can create & store a backup within Oracle of your instance, which can then be used to restore the image, should things go badly wrong :wink:

In the 'free' version, you can store up to 5 backups (per each 'free' account - or more if you sign up to a paid plan).
As they are full backups (instead of incremental), it's quite adequate, as you can delete off the oldest and stay within the 5 limit.

It can run the backup with the instance running, but I prefer to stop the instance first, do the backup, then restart.

1 Like

@cymplecy Do you have any issues logging into the Oracle Cloud admin interface?
Oracle seem to have invoked some security measures which make life difficult.

Most times that I login, I have to reset my password first and then login by following the email links, which is far from ideal.

Once its auto-logged me out after period on inactivty - I've never been able to make it back in from the page it sends me to.

I just go back to

oracle.com/cloud/sign-in.html

and I can get in from there every time with no bother

That's a different url than I've been using, thanks Simon.
....Oracle is such a vast provider of so many products, and many interconnect, so maybe I was choosing the wrong route.

1 Like

@cymplecy Simon, are you using Todd's cloud backup script?
I've just got it working in the Oracle Linux environment (it didn't work 'out-of-the-box' for me...).
If you decide to give it a try, give me a shout & I'll share the changes that I've made.

1 Like

Not using it - I'm not running anything critical yet

Well before I forget...

The oracle compartment id is a required parameter of the command bv boot-volume-backup list (line 11 of the script), and without it, the script fails, so the solution is to add it into the script.

First grab the compartment id by scrolling to the bottom of your Oracle instance management page, and select Administration > Tenancy Details

bv

Show & copy your Tenancy OCID

bv2

Then edit the script to include the OCID, and add it as parameter to the bv boot-volume-backup list command. (2 changes).

#!/usr/bin/env bash
source ~/.bashrc

PROFILE_NAME=DEFAULT
BACKUP_NAME=grafana_monthly
TMP_BACKUP_NAME=$(date +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S)
COMP_OCID=ocid1.tenancy.oc1..aaaaaaaaot2dmwrtkyourownocidreferencepczfgitlq

echo "Running at ${TMP_BACKUP_NAME}."
echo "Getting previous backup..."

OUTPUT=$(oci bv boot-volume-backup list --compartment-id ${COMP_OCID} --display-name ${BACKUP_NAME} --lifecycle-state A$LAST_BACKUP_ID=$(echo $OUTPUT | /bin/jq -r '.id')
BOOT_VOLUME_ID=$(echo $OUTPUT | /bin/jq -r '.bootVolumeId')
etc, etc, etc

The script should now run ok, and can be automated by adding a cron task which is run by 'user' to /etc/crontab. ie;
0 4 * * 7 opc /home/opc/backup_script/./nodered_weekly.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

NOTE; I have read that there is a way to make it unnecessary to provide the compartment id, but I couldn't get it to work, and the script author has not replied to support requests.