MariaDB innodb Tablespace

Hi Everyone,
I'm on a very steep learning curve here.
I know this is not a Node-Red issue just hoping someone on here may be able to answer my question.

I understand most databasey things having been a Visual FoxPro developer in the past, and have installed MariaDB on to a Pi using Node-Red all working very well.

The question I have is about table file sizes.

On the Pi in the "50-server.cnf" file which replaces the "mysql.cnf" it states "# InnoDB is enabled by default with a 10MB datafile in /var/lib/mysql/". So this got me wondering about table sizes for my data files as my database will ultimately hold only 10 tables but several with a possible 500,000 small (4-10 columns) records. I will move the database folders off to an SSD when development has finished. (whenever that may be!).

I have found that the site MariaDB Knowledge Base is a fantastic resource but my question is still unanswered.

Does the statement "# InnoDB is enabled by default with a 10MB datafile in /var/lib/mysql/" only refer to the "ibdata1" table?

ibdata1:12M:autoextend (from MariaDB 10.0), ibdata1:10M:autoextend (before MariaDB 10.0)

There is a reference to the increment value " innodb_autoextend_increment" which states " this setting does not apply to the resulting per-table tablespace files, which are automatically extended in their own way."

I'm at the point where I believe I'm overthinking this and it seems it will take care of itself. Anybody able to put my mind at rest?

To help others:

1. I have found that the "MySQL Workbench" is an excellent gui for administering the databases on my Pi from my windows desktop.

2. The "50-server.cnf" file replaces the "mysql.cnf" for configuring the installation. This is where the bind-address setting amongst many others is now to be found.

Cheers.
Paul.

Hi Everyone,

I had a reply to my query from MariaDB!
I thought I would post it here for others who may be interested.

Your assumptions about ibdata1 are correct. We probably should remove that comment in the configuration file.
For your purpose there shouldn't be a need to change any innodb system server variables/configuration except maybe the innodb_buffer_pool_size depending how much RAM you have

Cheers.
Paul.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.