Modbus Flex Getter -> Wrong value with Ferroamp!

I'm using modbus for my solar inverter and I cant get the correct values from it. Ive tried searching the forum and I cant get it to work.

Its this bit that I cant understand:

Data formats
The float data type can be accessed in two ways. The first two addresses use the single precision (32-
bit) floating point number as specified by IEEE 754 with the lower 16-bits at the lower address and
the higher 16-bits at the following address. The two consecutive addresses use two signed 16-bit
integers x, b such that the value represented is x * 10^b. For example, consider the grid voltage L1
located at Modbus number 32032, address 2031. At address 2031 and 2032 the data will be {f15,f14,
...,f0} and {f31,f30,...,f16} respectively, where fn is the n:th bit in the floating point representation. At
2033 and 32034 the data will be {x15,x14,...,x0} and {b15,b14,...,b0} respectively.
The uint16_t is a 16-bit unsigned integer and the int16_t is a signed integer represented in the
binary two’s-complement form.

Im using Modbus Flex Getter with a function node:

Function node:

msg.payload = { 'fc': 4, 'unitid': 1, 'address': 2032, 'quantity': 4 };
return msg;

And this is what I get to my debug node:

{"data":[62915,16967,4999,65534],"buffer":[245,195,66,71,19,135,255,254]}

The value should be ~230

Ferroamp Modbus pdf

Thankful for any help to point me in the right direction

No-one else has replied, so I will point you to node-red-contrib-buffer-parser, which I am sure will do what you want. Unfortunately I am not expert with that node, so you may still need input from someone else if you cannot work it out.

1 Like

Yep as Colin says - instead of trying to decode in a function node use Steves excellent buffer parser node and then put a debug on the ouput of that - but it is pretty self explanatory

Craig

1 Like

Hi,

what you are reading is the first 4 input registers starting from register 2032 (so Grid Voltage L1 and Grid Voltage L2); since you're reading 32 bit float data, these are stored over 2 16 bit registers each.
The "data" output is returning the 4 registers values in 16 bit uint.
The "buffer" output is returning the same, but expressed in bytes (each register is 2 bytes).

You can try with a function node wired to the "buffer" output of the modbus flex getter node, with this code (setup the function node in order to have 2 outputs):

let buffer = msg.payload.buffer;
var msg1 = {payload: buffer.readFloatLE(0)}; // first 32 bit float value (Grid Voltage L1 ?)
var msg2 = {payload: buffer.readFloatLE(4)}; // second 32 bit float value (Grid Voltage L2 ?)
return [msg1, msg2];

Some devices reverse the word order (big topic to explain here), so you might need to use

let buffer = msg.payload.buffer.swap16();

As others told you, you could go the easy way with the (awesome) buffer parser node.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.