Modbus physical wiring cat 6

Hoping to pick your brains.
First time working with rs485 modbus and was wondering if some1 could share the way you can easy and properly daisy chain / plug cat6 cable into connectors like the picture below.
Using cables shoes? My cat 6 cable is really small and breaks easy when scrwed to tight into the connector.

Anybody have some experience / pictures if something similar that i can view.

White is neg A orange is pos B and the green white wires are ground wires.

I don't know why you use an RJ45 (or rather two because twice the same colors) as the Modbus connector, but you can try soldering. I would add that the stripping and the end of the non-insulated wires leaves something to be desired...

They are daisy chained? And using an cat 6 cable is alot cheaper then using twisted modbus cable right?

White comes in and goes to the next object btw so don't know what you mean.

I mean that if there are two orange wires, there are two RJ-45 cables.

I would use a pair because using orange and orange/white separately risks creating interference (because it's a crossed pair).
e.g. (orange and orange/white) for pos and (blue and blue/white) for neg.

Not sure of what you are saying or trying to accomplish but...
you state you would use a pair but then in the next sentence you talk about using the orange/wht pair for pos and then the blue/wht for neg. There is a reason for using twisted pairs of wires and doing it correctly. Basic cabling always states that you want a twisted pair for signal integrity. And the twist rate, the sheath and the gauge are all dependent on the environment, frequency, and length of cable. Twist rates ensure a clean signal as the emf generated is canceled by the reverse emf generated by the twist. It looks like the green connectors are on some machine? To me the only reliable way to make your connections would be to swage a RJ45 connector (plug) onto your wire then get a RJ45 jack to make a short adapter wire/box to connect to your equipment. Not familiar with modbus but over the years I've pulled miles of cat 5, cat 6 and if you really want a reliable system you will need to spend some time and probably money to get secure connections. If you nick a wire even a little over time the wire will break at that nick. Been there, got the t-shirt. Invest a little money and get the right tools, parts to save yourself a lot of grief over time.Also, maintaining the sheath integrity is vital to mitigate cable degradation due to corrosion.

I muddle myself brushes :sweat_smile: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Thanks gerry for correcting me :slight_smile:
By pair I meant:
(blue with orange) for pos and (blue/white and orange/white) for neg
brown for ground.

I get what you guys are saying and im looking to get exactly that but i guess i should repose my question : what do you use to go from cat 6 to the green connector?

This?

And if so how do i ensure that cable length to the box is the same?

Im looking for the right tools you see :sweat_smile:

That looks like it should work to adapt. I suppose I had in mind getting a rj jack and making the cable. It would eliminate two joints. But you have to use what you can get. Having identical length cables should be irrelevant. If you are worried about signal propagation at the frequencies you are working at a few inches won't matter.

1 Like

Why not use a rj45 module it is designed to take the cat6 cable.

Or push fit terminal blocks are easier on the cat6 cable

1 Like

He needs to get from the rj into a screw terminal on his equipment. That cable looks good to me as a compromise between custom swaging and buying all those tools and what he needs to get into his machine.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.