Mui_text not working

Hi team, I have been fighting with this issue for a couple of days , but no success so far.
I have this simple mui dashboard (localhost:1880/mui), mui_text does not display data at all. Running v0.20.5 in ubuntu linux 18.04 with node v13.12.0

the wired thing here is that mui_button, mui_slide, mui_switch work fine... I am lost

[{"id":"c7830b2e.c14868","type":"tab","label":"UPDATE MQTT DEVICE","disabled":false,"info":""},{"id":"c6d8f038.e3e65","type":"inject","z":"c7830b2e.c14868","name":"Reboot","topic":"WTF","payload":"{\"deviceId\":6742829,\"ip\":\"192.168.100.59\",\"rssi\":-55,\"msgCount\":5903,\"reportInterval\":10,\"ledBlink\":false,\"ledState\":1}","payloadType":"json","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":true,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":398,"y":223,"wires":[["5743c07d.388a4","5862eb0f.df0124"]]},{"id":"5743c07d.388a4","type":"mui_text","z":"c7830b2e.c14868","group":"d17ec657.4f6158","order":3,"width":0,"height":0,"name":"commandResponse","label":"TBD","format":"{{payload.ip}}","layout":"row-spread","x":615,"y":287,"wires":[]},{"id":"5862eb0f.df0124","type":"debug","z":"c7830b2e.c14868","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"false","x":578,"y":221,"wires":[]},{"id":"d17ec657.4f6158","type":"mui_group","z":"","name":"Telemetry","tab":"b07cd333.4fc05","order":2,"disp":true,"width":"6","collapse":true},{"id":"b07cd333.4fc05","type":"mui_tab","z":"","name":"Telemetry","icon":"dashboard","order":2,"disabled":false,"hidden":false}]

any hint, where could be the error?

I tested with ui_text in a different dashbord (localhost:1880/ui) and it works fine

Thanks in advance

You should only have one dashboard installed at a time to prevent conflicts. So either use node-red-dashboard or node-red-contrib-mdashboard but not both at once.

I don't know anything about that dashboard, but you are using a fairly old version of node-red and a too-new version of nodejs. Nodejs should be 8, 10 or 12 (the LTS versions). Many nodes will not be compatible with v 13 I imagine.
The easiest way to get a consistent set of tools is to remove nodejs then run the recommended install script (it is promoted as for the Pi but works well with other Debian based systems, including Ubuntu).
When posting a flow please see How to share code or flow json for how to do it, otherwise your flow will not be importable.

@colin, for simple things like Dashboard nodejs 13 should be ok... It's not recommended for nodes that have a binary component as sometimes they don't compile correctly.

No doubt that is true, but is it not always a good idea to point out to people when they are using non-recommended versions of the infrastructure?

Yes. But uninstalling nodejs , reinstalling , and rebuilding is more fraught than just uninstalling a node, especially when it is unlikely to be the root cause.

I had missed the significance of the comment about the usual dashboard, that it likely means that both are installed at the same time. That is not explicitly stated but I suspect that in fact both are installed. @zenofmud's post clashed with mine so I had not seen it when I posted.

1 Like

Hi, thanks everyone for replying with comments and suggestions, so far, I've updated node-red version to 1.0.6, and nodejs back to 12.16.3 running the RPi script , need to modfy the path from /usr/bin to /usr/local/bin in /etc/systemd/system/node-red.service script.
Unistalled both dashboard & mdashboard, installed mdashboard, restarted everything, but nothing new, still facing the same issue. I'll keep on trying to see if I can make it work, but your comments helped a lot... thanks

That is the wrong file, it is nodered.service, not node-red.service.

Can you post the startup log when you run
node-red-stop
node-red-start
in case there is anything there that might prove helpful for the dashboard problem.

Hi, thanks, about nodered.service (it was my original implementation , that is why the name is not the original )
Here is the output from node-red-logs
18 May 09:34:44 - [info] Dashboard up and running
Mon, 18 May 2020 12:34:45 GMT node-telegram-bot-api deprecated Automatic enabling of cancellation of promises is deprecated.
In the future, you will have to enable it yourself.
See https://github.com/yagop/node-telegram-bot-api/issues/319. at internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1133:30
Missing ENV var CONFIG_PATH
Stopping Node-RED graphical event wiring tool...
18 May 09:34:49 - [info] mDashboard version 2.19.4-beta started at /mui
18 May 09:34:50 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
18 May 09:34:50 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-socketio-client/socketio-client] Type already registered
18 May 09:34:50 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-googlechart/googlechart] Error: Cannot find module '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/red/red'
Require stack:

• /home/tatu/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-googlechart/googlechart.js
  • /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules/@node-red/registry/lib/loader.js
  • /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules/@node-red/registry/lib/index.js
  • /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules/@node-red/runtime/lib/nodes/index.js
  • /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules/@node-red/runtime/lib/index.js
  • /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/lib/red.js
  • /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/red.js
    18 May 09:34:50 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
    18 May 09:34:50 - [info] Settings file : /home/tatu/.node-red/settings.js
    18 May 09:34:50 - [info] Context store : 'default' [module=memory]
    18 May 09:34:50 - [info] User directory : /home/tatu/.node-red
    18 May 09:34:50 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
    18 May 09:34:50 - [info] Flows file : /home/tatu/.node-red/flows_tatuiot.com.json
    Stopped Node-RED graphical event wiring tool.

Could you use the node-red-start/stop command please. I can only assume that is why some of the startup messages are missing.

My approach is always to fix the obvious problems before trying to fix the more tricky ones. So I suggest sorting out the socketio and google charts problems first.
You seem to have installed two nodes providing socketio, so remove one of them. Also remove googlechart. If you need it then try re-installing.

Hi, after some time searching for optimal solution, I decided to move to "uibuilder" node , which provide much more flexibility and extendebility (I might have invented a whole new word) so, for now mui-dashboard is on hold. Thanks for your support and help. If I ever get back to mui-dashboard I'll try again ... and let you know how it went.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.