Multiple instances of nodejs and nodered

hi, i describe my problem

I use windows and I have multiple instances of node-red, all of them with their respective NSSM service.

All are version 1.0.6 and my nodejs is v10.15.3

Now I have to create a new node-red instance

nodejs version 10 will be without maintenance in April, so i think i will need to update on this machine to v12

I've been searching the forum and google and found NVM,
is this a solution to my problem?
Does this have any drawbacks?
Is it possible that my version 1.0.6 nodes get corrupted if I update nodejs directly?
what do you think about this?

I would skip 12 and move to V14.

Yes, it can be problematic - search the forum for NVM

No but if there are nodes that are "built" (e.g. serial port) you will need to do npm rebuild - covered many times on the forum - search npm rebuild

PS. backup your flows before starting - not 100% necessary (as they should be un-touched) but provides piece of mind that you can get back to where your started if you mess up.

1 Like

thanks for answering

I will do tests on my local machine for safety and so not to break what I have mounted

I'll wait to see what others think before giving your answer as a solution

With nodes that are "built" what do you mean?
For example, I use the OPC UA and mmsql-plus nodes, would anyone be affected at update nodejs?

some NPM modules are "built" (c++ bindings) when installed. They are build based on the nodejs version. So if you upgrade, the bindings will not match & so need to be rebuilt. TBH, its just easier (cleaner) to pretty much start again.

install nodejs
delete node_modules folder
npm install

As for mssql-plus - there is no build step for that node. OPCUA - unsure (I avoid OPCAU as much as possible :slight_smile: )

I think node-red will need to be rebuilt won't it? If so then it will need to be done for all instances whether there are other built nodes or not.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.