My Projects disabled: git command not found

Using Debian and installed node-red via snap.

I get following output on those commands:
which git: /usr/bin/git
git --version: git version 2.20.1

Inside /var/snap/node-red/current/settings.js I have the part of the projects defined like this:
editorTheme: {
projects: {
gitCommand: '/usr/bin/git',
// To enable the Projects feature, set this value to true
enabled: true
}
}

Removing gitCommand does not change anything.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, when looking up online I only find posts about people not installing git but git is clearly already installed on my system but I continue to get this issue.

Welcome @Treekaya

Maybe a silly question: Have you restarted Node RED after enabling projects?
Are you using some form of container for Node RED?

using an exec node what does which git yield?

1 Like

Hello,
yes I have restarted node-red multiple times. I have also rebooted the entire maschine.

The exec node failes and response with code:1 and message: "Command failed: which git"
It doesn't seem to find it. Hope I don't have to reinstall nodered for this but it is one thing I have not tried yet.

I don't use snap - most here use bare-metal, so the snap thing maybe using a container, and therefore doesn't see "outside" said container :man_shrugging:

1 Like

correct - the snap install version is fully inside it's container so has no access to apps (like git) that are outside.

2 Likes

So my guess would be to reinstall nodered. There are multiple ways installing it, I did already install npm using apt and installing node-red via npm.
Is this a good approach?
I sadly do not know how someone makes a choice on how to install it. I am guessing other sources can bring in different issues.

Standard way on Debian is to use the Raspberry Pi installer bash script (and just answer no to installing Pi nodes)

https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/raspberrypi

1 Like

But make sure to uninstall the snap version first

1 Like

I have Uninstalled snap and npm completely. I have set it up with the Raspberry Pi installer which works perfectly. Would have never used it because I clearly did not run it on a raspberry pi.

Thank you. Got projects up and running.

1 Like

The first sentence in the getting started docs for running node red locally is
If you are on a Raspberry Pi or any Debian-based operating system, including Ubuntu and Diet-Pi, you can use the Pi install script available here.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.