Name it! (I wouldn't ask if I was happy with the old name)

From DB1 you probably remember this:

And you may have seen me prototyping this:

If that last one wants to turn to widget, the baby needs a name ..

:drum:
node-red-dashboard-2-NAME-GOES-HERE

5 Likes

I am going to try to reduce my enthousiasm that you are going to create a dashboard D2 node, but not sure yet how long I can do that...

Seems your old ui node called node-red-contrib-ui-level, I assume you are not happy with the name node-red-dashboard-2-ui-level? But in your both screenshots I recognize the word "level", so it still looks like a decent name to me...

2 Likes

I meant: I know from the title of this discussion, that you are not happy with the old name. But for any reason? Because it can be used for so much more than visualizing levels I assume...

node-red-dashboard-2-ui-equalizer perhaps

This is the best name ever ... ui-lvl

Some others:

node-red-dashboard-2-ui-signal-meter
node-red-dashboard-2-ui-value-bar
node-red-dashboard-2-ui-indicator-bar

As much as @bobo may have a good idea of K.I.S., I think @BartButenaers offers are more suited.

I've got a few of them kicking around on my older dashboards.
So am behind you porting it to the newer DB-2 system.

I don't want even point out the reason cos with that I may step hard on your creativity. But ok. Just maybe a little then... Can you measure a distance with some kind of "level"?

1 Like

level or lvl or linear-guage ... possibilities are endless.

Name is not the most important thing.

Good point.

What about

• node-red-dashboard-2-ui-bar-meter - basic and descriptive
  • node-red-dashboard-2-ui-vu-meter - familiar to folk measuring volumetric units
  • node-red-dashboard-2-ui-led-meter - might think it's to do with measuring actual LEDs
  • node-red-dashboard-2-ui-led-bar - simple and not too strict that you cannot expand functionality
1 Like

I like that also...

and linear-gauge too :wink:

3 Likes

If you don’t want it to be found….

1 Like

node-red-dashboard-2-led-guage

because it looks like an led gauge

node-red-horizontal-partitioned-maybe-some-leds-kind-of gauge-thing

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

AliExpress offer "20 Segment Bar Graph Chart" gadgets.

Actual theirs are "Ultra Bright LED Display Green/Red/Yellow 20 Segment Bar Graph Chart for Mobile Charging" but that's not so easy to say.

Ok. Seems like all related words are shouted out. I'll make my list soon and maybe poll it on you if I still fail to choose.

Special thanks to @Steve-Mcl pointing out clearly what the name does for the thing.

It of course doesn't mean you all need to stop here cos development is not started yet and late calls are as equal as first ones.

2 Likes

The linear-gauge was my which when DB1 version was about to burn. But it was taken. Is it fair enough to steal it for DB2 cos maybe I am lucky enough to make it before anyone else makes it.

Or will it be another confusing thing in this environment and should be avoided?

Again, this is not that decision is made. Feel free to provide more if you have.

Call it whatever you wish, just follow current recommendation of using a scope @scope/node-red-dashboard-2-xxxxx for example @hotnipi/node-red-dashboard-2-linear-gauge

1 Like

Gets my vote!

2 Likes

The point is not about the uniqueness of the package. That will happen anyway. It is more about here in forum talking about the thing. Specially with newcomer's. Well defined name helps to avoid confusion. Of course the blind search results are more sharp and such kind of benefits also apply.
And of course the community has always great ideas. Why not to collect them before to do something? Otherwise you maybe need to make changes you don't wanna do cos the process has been gone too far already. The time is priceless even if doing open source contribution.

There is always a middle ground and a choice to be made.

Full on clarity can be verbose (node-red-dashboard-2-horizontal-led-style-value-visualiser-led-gauge) and I can guarantee users will still not find it with a search when they look for "vdu meter".

Keep the name simple and relatively relevant & use keywords in your package.json to assist with search.