Name it! What? Again? (This time I'm just out of ideas)

Maybe it will be a widget some day...

5 Likes

rotary vu gauge ?

VU makes me figure out non-linear scale. I doubt that's going to happen...

iirc, and then a search confirmed it...
Edgewise Meter

2 Likes

I could not find that for the life of me.

However, does @hotNipi gauge face rotate or does the needle move? :thinking:

If the gauge face moves, then rotary-edgewise-meter? if the needle moves, edgewise-meter?

Needle is fixed

Perhaps keep it generic: edgewise-meter in case the inevitable request for an option to permit fixed face & moving needle - then it still works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Moving needle will end with very limited options of scales/limits. Can't have big numbers cos such don't fit anyhow.
The plan is to do it in the way that you can configure it to show numbers no matter the count of digits. The reasonability and readability is for user to figure out, I'll try to not restrict too much.

1 Like

Anyway the edgewise-meter it is.

I tried to find do we have a name of the physical item in Estonian but maybe tried not hard enough. It doesn't translate to anything meaningful. Of course, the device is so old-school that it's name for sure has fadeaway status.

Fancy would be to see it's name in other major languages...

1 Like

maybe if you give it the full old skool name edgewise-panel-meter it is enough for other languages to infer?

My sister has PhD in Semiotics and Linguistics. Maybe not bad idea to ping her.. :thinking:

1 Like

Old school definitely! They were in lots of equipment at a place I worked, most of which was installed in the (19)50s. Especially in panels for controlling Electrical Power.

Google translate Edgewise Meter Estonian - Servapidi Meeter ??

Yep. Servapidi means something like following the edge or slightly.

1 Like

Old school, indeed!
Even Google never heard of it :rofl:

btw I don't have a use for it, but I like it very much.

Not that I want to be an agitant:

disc-meter?

This seems to be the best name - edgewise panel meter - Google Search

1 Like