New Grafana plugin: Websocket data source

Thought this might be of interest to some people. A newly contributed Grafana plugin for getting realtime data via websocket connections.

Perhaps an interesting alternative to Dashboard charts where you have lots of rapidly changing data.

6 Likes

Looks good, they started developing a MQTT plugin, but it looks like it is not being developed any more!

Shame about the MQTT plugin but then you could always configure a ws interface on your Mosquitto broker :grinning:

1 Like

For Grafana a more likely approach is using Influxdb in conjunction with telegraf and the mqtt consumer. There are so many integrations with telegraf nowadays.

1 Like

Yes, already doing that. But direct ws->mqtt could be useful where you just want real-time reporting and don't want to shove everything through InfluxDB.

1 Like

Just tried this, it works well! It's a viable alternative to MQTT for data that doesn't need to go into a database.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, really interesting - I will give it a try. I'm still hoping for the mqtt plug-in though :disappointed:

1 Like

The MQTT datasource plugin for Grafana does work. It was just painfully difficult (at least for me) to build and install. I do not understand Mage, Yarn, etc. which is required. I was told by one of the developers last fall that it would eventually be a "click to add" datasource plugin (like Influx or MSSQL), so maybe that will happen at their upcoming GrafanaCONline conference.

Meanwhile, I will try the websocket plugin.

2 Likes

Grant, didn't they announce the MQTT Plugin at last years GrafanaCONline?

@ghayne Yes, they did announce (and present) the MQTT datasource plugin, but it was really more of a proof-of-concept. The plugin only works for the Open Source version (not Grafana Cloud) and it requires the user to build everything from the GitHub files. I believe it has not received widespread adoption because of these factors. Having said that, once it's set up, it works nicely. Below is a flow that displays the (constantly changing) scale weight via MQTT to Grafana using the MQTT datasource:

1 Like

Yes, looks good, but the non-trivial installation instructions put me off trying to install it. The websocket plugin is great though, until the MQTT plugin is available to install using the plugin interface.

Sorry, know this is a late reply but I use Telegraf to get MQTT data into Grafana.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.