New Grafana plugin: Websocket data source

Thought this might be of interest to some people. A newly contributed Grafana plugin for getting realtime data via websocket connections.

Perhaps an interesting alternative to Dashboard charts where you have lots of rapidly changing data.

6 Likes

Looks good, they started developing a MQTT plugin, but it looks like it is not being developed any more!

Shame about the MQTT plugin but then you could always configure a ws interface on your Mosquitto broker :grinning:

1 Like

For Grafana a more likely approach is using Influxdb in conjunction with telegraf and the mqtt consumer. There are so many integrations with telegraf nowadays.

1 Like

Yes, already doing that. But direct ws->mqtt could be useful where you just want real-time reporting and don't want to shove everything through InfluxDB.

1 Like

Just tried this, it works well! It's a viable alternative to MQTT for data that doesn't need to go into a database.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, really interesting - I will give it a try. I'm still hoping for the mqtt plug-in though :disappointed:

1 Like

The MQTT datasource plugin for Grafana does work. It was just painfully difficult (at least for me) to build and install. I do not understand Mage, Yarn, etc. which is required. I was told by one of the developers last fall that it would eventually be a "click to add" datasource plugin (like Influx or MSSQL), so maybe that will happen at their upcoming GrafanaCONline conference.

Meanwhile, I will try the websocket plugin.

2 Likes

Grant, didn't they announce the MQTT Plugin at last years GrafanaCONline?

@ghayne Yes, they did announce (and present) the MQTT datasource plugin, but it was really more of a proof-of-concept. The plugin only works for the Open Source version (not Grafana Cloud) and it requires the user to build everything from the GitHub files. I believe it has not received widespread adoption because of these factors. Having said that, once it's set up, it works nicely. Below is a flow that displays the (constantly changing) scale weight via MQTT to Grafana using the MQTT datasource:

1 Like

Yes, looks good, but the non-trivial installation instructions put me off trying to install it. The websocket plugin is great though, until the MQTT plugin is available to install using the plugin interface.