`new tab` button to make new tab BESIDE existing one

I am sure I read it somewhere. But where that is/was .... is beyond me.

I want to add a new tab but have it appear beside the one that is active.

Sorry, but how is that done? (If possible)

do you mean this ?

Maybe.

But when I go to my settings and look at the key assignment it is blank.

I try to set it and am either doing it wrong or it still won't work.
No, ok. I am missing something. It isn't even saved. :frowning: :confused:
Seems I am losing skills daily. Today it is reading/understanding things.

Wow!

Doing it from the GUI was painful for me.
Sorry, but that takes cryptic to a whole other level (for me).

I honestly don't understand HOW I did it.

It was more throwing enough (stuff) at the wall: some will stick.
And now I have to remember this weird combination to add a new flow adjacent to the one I see.

I've gone to the Documentation : Node-RED and tried to find it.
But where does it explain ho to do keyboard assignments from the GUI.
That is: Not opening a file and editing the Javascript file.

I'm not sure if it is me or what, but I am not understanding the syntax of how keys are defined.
Strangely I am kind of having a similar discussion else where with how keys are defined.
eg:
Is it + or is it shift =?
Is N n or N?
N is what is on the keyboard, not n, so N means n and N is defined somehow else.

If you want the shortcut to be shift-n then that is what you'd enter.

I agree it isn't as intuitive as it could be. Many apps that let you customise shortcuts let you 'perform' the shortcut and let it figure out the value.

For your original question, the next release adds a better right-click context menu that includes 'add tab to right' when you right click in the tab bar.

1 Like

Thanks Nick.

I am sorry if that was a bit raw. I am really not having a good time with keyboard assignments and the way different people do it.

Alas how you explained it kind of is an example of how I am confused.

I (personally) read that as:
shift and - and n which I kind of suspect it isn't.

It is actually shift and n.

Buy my monkey brain had a real hard time to get that understood.

So when I am looking at the keyboard assignments via the GUI I am still not getting things.
Saying I chose an existing combination: am I informed of the conflict? (Ok, easy enough to test, but the question is there begging) and to what level is/are conflicts handled?
I'll explain that:
(Picking an obvious conflict)
Say I want to use <ctl> x. That is at the O/S level. Will that be detected and would I be warned?
No, I not wanting to be a smart a$$ here. I am only over simplifying the example.
Saying the combination/conflict with using a browser specific set, again: will this be detected?
I can't think of any - and I know that is poor on my part - but again: the question is there in front of me.

I am a bit overwhelmed with a couple of projects and scrolling from tab 1 to tab 30 which are at the opposite ends of the list it is annoying.
Opening an adjacent tab would be handy, and so I fell into this rabbit hole.

Thanks.

They handled as well as they can be. It's hard to say much more. In theory you can set whatever shortcut you want. It is then down to whether the operating system let's the browser 'see' the shortcut happen and let us respond to it, or if it gets handled before the browser gets any chance.

So I cannot say for certain for every possible shortcut.

All I can suggest is try it and see.

And I shall fall on my sword for that.

It is just it really threw me for a wild one.

Again: Thanks for explaining it in a way that is better for me.