🎉 Node-RED 1.1.2 released

Just when you thought it was the weekend... along comes a surprise Node-RED release.

This release fixes the scrolling issues on iOS. It also fixes a few other usability issues on touch screens in general:

• the workspace no longer scrolls whilst you are trying to move a node or wire nodes together
  • double-tap to edit a node should work more reliably
  • groups can be moved and double-tapped to edit

There are still some long-standing usability issues on smaller screens - hopefully we can chip away at them in subsequent releases. If you are a heavy touch-screen user with Node-RED, I'd love to hear your feedback on the user experience.

Full changelog here: https://github.com/node-red/node-red/releases/tag/1.1.2

15 Likes

This sounds awesome! Can't wait to test (tomorrow).

1 Like

Three minor "things" for usability purpose (some of them could maybe have been reported also for earlier versions, but better late than never)

1. I really love the new flow navigator, especially if you have many tabs, so easy to jump between them now. Would it be possible to make it so that you also could organize the tabs from it? With drag & drop. Like you can with the dashboard? Today when you create a new tab, it is added at the end and it is a bit less efficient if you want to move it to the beginning instead. If you have many tabs, you have to drag the tab in a number of sequences, hitting the arrow key in between

2. Any possibility to add a function to copy & paste a complete tab? Today you have to copy all nodes & paste them into a new tab, basically works fine but first you also need a new tab and then you also experience what is described in 1) above

3. In palette manager you see your installed nodes and can install new ones. For new ones you have a handy link where you can go to the Node-RED flow library and read about the node. Once installed, the link is gone. Would it be possible to keep the link? Sometimes you need to go back and read a bit again

Kind regards, Walter

2 Likes

Just FYI - there are no 1.1.2 docker images in Docker Hub.

I see them listed in github, but not Docker Hub. I'm not sure if they have to be manually pushed or not, so thought I would mention it.

Oops. They will be there soon.

Looks like they are showing up as I type. Thanks!

Hi @krambriw

Ctrl-click on a flow tab to select it - it'll get a little tick icon. You can ctrl-click to select as many as you want. Then you can copy/paste.

1 Like

Ah! That release bump was really quick :heart_eyes:

Nice, thank you!!

Only just installed it. Looking good so far.

Ok, just mentioning:

When I am messing about editing the function node's settings I am seeing this:

It does go away after a couple of seconds. So I am not too upset, but just mentioning as I think I saw someone else mention something similar.

NR (the latest) and most nodes are up to date. (but the serial port and a couple which I don't use)

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1

PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
VERSION_CODENAME=stretch
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

Raspberry Pi reference 2017-09-07
Generated using pi-gen, https://github.com/RPi-Distro/pi-gen, 496e41575eeb9fa13f394ffb407b7bc1d00b21c2, stage5
pi@BedPi:~ $ 

That warning is generated by Firefox, specifically because an extension you installed is unresponsive.

I don't think it is caused by Node-RED, although the new editor features like the outliner require a bit more CPU time.
Are you running the browser on the same machine as your Node-RED? On a Pi, I presume? :thinking:

Yes, and it happens to me now and then.

Strange that on that machine it didn't happen at any predictable frequency.

As soon as I updated to the latest version and I click on the new bits of the function node, it happens.

Coincidence or not?

(Shrug)

Remote machine - RasPi. Though I kinda declared that part.
This machine (the viewing) is a NUC which is getting a bit flogged with a lot of open tabs in FF.

But that aside, as I said: Until I updated the machine this didn't happen on that RasPi.
After the update (of the RasPi) it happens.

Some of those password managers can consume a lot of CPU as they try to scan for user/password fields to fill whenever something changes on the web page. If I guesses correctly it is a password manager extension.

Interesting.

Possible.

The machine is password locked for Node-Red editing.

So maybe.

Does anyone else encounter the same bug as I do?
Group some nodes, move them around, copy and paste, then at some point holding Shift or Ctrl, the whole tab will freeze, CPU go to 100%, and I have to kill the tab in the Chrome process manager. Happened 3 times in a row, then as soon as I turned on OBS to get a replay, didn't happen anymore :sweat_smile:

yes, when moving nodes within a group the chrome tab also freezes for me.

This is extremely annoying, because it only helps to shoot the tab and all changes made up to that point are lost. Today I have seen this 4 times.

Hi,

This has happened to me multiple times as well. The larger / more complex the Group seems to make it occur more frequently.

Trying to capture this with debug to see if errors are displayed in the console - no luck yet.

Paul

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.