🎉 Node-RED 1.3.1 released

Is this the expected process, or have I missed something?

Yes, removing unused modules is a manual process currently. There's no big harm leaving them there other than the disk space they take up - if the function node isn't configure to load it, it won't get loaded.

1 Like

@dceejay, that worked! I got some warnings though:

pi@pigate:~ $ sudo systemctl stop nodered.service
pi@pigate:~ $ sudo npm i -g --unsafe-perm node-red@1.3.1
npm WARN deprecated bcrypt@3.0.6: versions < v5.0.0 do not handle NUL in passwords properly
npm WARN deprecated request@2.88.0: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated har-validator@5.1.5: this library is no longer supported
npm WARN deprecated bcrypt@3.0.8: versions < v5.0.0 do not handle NUL in passwords properly
/usr/bin/node-red -> /usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/red.js
/usr/bin/node-red-pi -> /usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/bin/node-red-pi
+ node-red@1.3.1
added 1 package from 1 contributor, removed 15 packages and updated 33 packages in 41.423s
pi@pigate:~ $ sudo systemctl start nodered.service

Then:

pi@pigate:~ $ node-red -v
10 Apr 14:43:31 - [info]

Welcome to Node-RED
===================

10 Apr 14:43:31 - [info] Node-RED version: v1.3.1
10 Apr 14:43:31 - [info] Node.js  version: v12.20.0
10 Apr 14:43:31 - [info] Linux 5.4.79-v7+ arm LE
10 Apr 14:43:32 - [info] Loading palette nodes
10 Apr 14:43:35 - [info] Dashboard version 2.25.0 started at /ui
10 Apr 14:43:35 - [info] Settings file  : /home/pi/.node-red/settings.js
10 Apr 14:43:35 - [info] Context store  : 'default' [module=memory]
10 Apr 14:43:35 - [info] User directory : /home/pi/.node-red
10 Apr 14:43:35 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
10 Apr 14:43:35 - [info] Flows file     : /home/pi/.node-red/flows_pigate.json
10 Apr 14:43:35 - [error] Unable to listen on http://127.0.0.1:1880/
10 Apr 14:43:35 - [error] Error: port in use

So, all looks good, THANKS! Any idea what the warns are about, do they need updating or removal?

Russ

Those warning are ok. Will be fixed when we move to Node-RED 2

That is because you have started node red while it is already running

I wondered about that, the error message didn't come up until asking for the version info (node-red -v). Could that have caused it?

Russ

I seem to recall that node-red -v starts node-RED in verbose mode for debugging (I could be wrong!)
So if node-RED was already running, you have started a second instance running which would produce that error message.

** Edit 18:04 **
reinstalled NPM via curl -qL https://www.npmjs.com/install.sh | sh and now on 7.9.0

So what the recommended NPM to have as that script just got me 7.9.0, and i can see there a 7.9.2.

ok silly question but what happened to the Pallet menu...

ah ok.. after doing the upgrade it would appear NPM has not removed itself :confused:

11 Apr 17:56:07 - [info] Palette editor disabled : npm command not found

npm -v now gives /usr/local/bin/npm: No such file or directory

i've used

npm up -g --unsafe-perm node-red

which has always worked.. but seems to have also decide to corrupt or remove itself as well.

I just want to say thank you for the hard work and committment to this project !! those are some really amazing features !! packaging subflows as modules is very promising and I pondered on hacking something like that myself given that my subflows are out of control.

On another note, I used the resources directory solution for serving custom js, and updated my custom nodes but when a user does not have the latest version of node-red , the editor does not load at all, and it gets stuck on loading nodes screen. Is it possible that we change this behaviour so that it still loads the editor though a used resource cannot be found?or is this just the as-designed behavior for any node which cannot resolve a particular resource used in its editor dialoge?

Errrr. Not sure how we can change the behaviour of an old version. To change it you would be upgrading it.

totally understand .. I guess it would be an ehnacement for future releases in that case to alert the user of missing resource and load the editor, not load the node at all, or perhaps report the missing resource message in the console ,etc. at the moment the only way a user gets to know is to open the Dev Tools of the browser and get to see the 404 Resource not found error in the networks tab.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.