🎉 Node-RED 2.2.0-beta.1 released

:tada: The first beta release of Node-RED 2.2.0 is now available.

There are not a lot of new features in this release, but here are the highlights.

The Change Log has the full list of changes.

Note: if any issues are reported against the beta, we'll update this post to list them here. If you hit a problem, please do check back here before adding a comment.

Known Issues

• Copy Text actions broken for non https/localhost domains

Search History

The main search dialog now keeps a history of your searches. This makes it easy to repeatedly search for the same thing.

Aligning nodes

With snap-to-grid enabled, nodes with hidden labels (eg link nodes) can now be aligned on either their left or right edge. This will make it easier to get everything to line up.

There is another pull-request from @dceejay that will help with some alignment woes with non-grid sizes - but I'm still thinking about if that's quite the right approach. Either way, we'll have more for the final 2.2.0 release.

Detaching nodes

You can now delete a node from the middle of a flow and have the wiring automatically repair itself in the background:

delete-repair

This is done by holding the Ctrl (or Cmd) key when you press delete.

You can also detach a node from the flow without deleting it:

detach-repair

We haven't assigned a default shortcut for that, but you can assign one yourself in the Keyboard pane of the Settings dialog. The action is called core:detach-selected-nodes.

Selecting multiple wires

You can also select multiple wires by ctrl-clicking on them.

When you select multiple nodes, we also highlight any wires between them. This can make it easier to follow a flow once you have selected it.

Slicing wires

Finally, we've added the ability to remove wires by slicing through them. You do this by holding the ctrl (or cmd) key, then dragging the mouse with the right-hand button pressed:

7BkV292r4W

Node Updates

• The JSON node will now attempt to parse Buffer objects if they contain a valid string
  • The TCP Client nodes support TLS connections
  • The WebSocket client node now lets you specify a sub-protocol to connect with

--

Be sure to read through the Change Log to see what else is in there.

Installing the beta

If you want to try out the beta, you will need specify node-red@next when you use npm to update. Without the @next you'll still get 2.1.x

So on a Pi you'd do:

sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red@next

Reporting problems

If you hit any problems, please report them either as a reply on this topic, or in the #core-dev slack channel. Please do not post new topics to the forum regarding the beta as that could confuse users who are not using the beta.

Outstanding work

There are a couple more PRs being considered for 2.2.0 - you can see the backlog here (although nothing is guaranteed until it is merged and released...)

The goal is to release 2.2.0 at the end of this month.

17 Likes

Awesome stuff once again Nick and all contributors!

Could this perhaps be made the default behaviour ? :slight_smile: ie without cmd/ctrl ?

3 Likes

No, please don't change default behaviors!! As an option is fine/great, as is key triggered, but not as default.

1 Like

Don't worry - we wouldn't change the delete action to not actually delete!

If someone really wants to change it, they can customise their keyboard shortcuts however they want via the Keyboard pane of the main Settings dialog.

1 Like

Some time ago I asked (on a live on twich) about the possibility of limiting the search only for the current flow.

I hoped that this option would be implemented in version 2

Sorry, I don't specifically recall that suggestion, and it wasn't captured anywhere (yet) as a requirement. So no, not something that has been implemented.

In this case, maybe somewhere in a future version.
When you have a lot of flows it is difficult to easily find what you are looking for.

I have now added an item to the backlog, so it will happen at some point.

3 Likes

That combination is not very easy to do on a laptop (touchpad mouse), I may of missed it, but if not, could this be configurable in the keyboard shortcuts?

We don't have a way to allow customisation of mouse handling shortcuts currently.

But it is something I'm aware of and there are a few possible solutions - unlikely for 2.2 though.

1 Like

Reporting an issue with the Export Nodes feature in the new beta

it doesnt copy the json .. tested in Firefox and Chrome
if i remember correctly, it was an issue with the focus of that window element ?

It works fine for me :grinning:

Viewing on Chrome Version 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 Laptop.
Installed on RasPi 3b
Node-RED version: v2.2.0-beta.1
Node.js version: v14.18.3
Linux 5.10.63-v7+ arm LE

There were some changes to how copying to the clipboard works. May have to revert if we can't identify why it doesn't work for you but does work for others.

I found some time and tested a bit more ..
the error appears when I try to Export and when i click the Copy to Clipboard button

Firefox :

Chrome :

Node-red running on Windows 10
Node-red version 2.2.0 beta and 2.1.5 have this error
reverting to 2.1.4 is OK

Very nice features! Thank you Nick and all contributors!

I'm really looking forward to the new delete and wiring features, those can save a lot of time.

Installing the beta now... :nerd_face:

Re reported clipboard bug
All seems OK here - NR running on Win11 - Vivaldi browser running on same machine

I can't see core:detach-selected-nodes in the keyboard shortcut settings

You are looking at the "C" actions. Look under "D", or filter the list for "detach".

I have identified the issue with the Copy Text actions. They are broken if you not using https to access the editor, or you aren't on localhost.

1 Like

Got it