🎉 Node-RED 3.0.0-beta.2 released

its late at night but i think something has been lost in translation

2 Likes

@cymplecy ,
I understand the concept that separates the functionality of the "connector" vs. the "Connected". The Link nodes are the closest thing to junctions due to the nature of the connector across flow(s). Maybe incorporating these is not ideal. However, it makes sense to pick the items off the palette to build programs. Connection linking is an action. So modified action is also agreeable, if you can make the action intuitive and uncomplicated. Nick's comment that the right click should become a new feature gives hope the right click menu will give Node-RED this kind of intuitive option(s).

Agreed

Agreed

Not agreed - I wish for separate node so that I don't have to adjust anything - just drag and use

Not sure if others are experiencing it, but when I open a function node and click within it, the point of reference jumps around (usually up) and a number of rows of data are automatically highlighted.

EDIT: I scrolled up a bit and read the comments on the junction node. I agree with the sentiment. Having to remember another key board/mouse combination is good for a select few people, who bother to look it up, many will not even know it exists.
There are a few ways to make it easier to use. Including it as a separate node would be a good way to improve adoption.

1 Like

Which editor do you have set? ACE or Monaco?

The default = ACE

For node-red v3.0.0, the default is Monaco (same in this beta) - so you likely did an upgrade and still have ACE specified in your settings file.

The current plan is for ACE is to be dropped in V4 so wont be getting much attention or priority.

That said, we would still welcome an issue being raised so it is tracked and hopefully fixed.

PS, are you intentionally still using ACE? The monaco editor has soooo many advantages (like auto completion and snippets specifically for node-red)

TBH, I didn't like typescript, it kept throwing errors in places where I couldn't see any errors. Maybe it was a bug.

I guess I'll have to adopt it at some point though....

Monaco is set to javascript mode. Any errors reported are telling you something isnt right. If that happened to be due to monaco, you should raise an issue - but to put your mind at ease, I write some fairly complex JS and I always use monaco - i dont see any issues.

I'm knee deep in code right now, but I'll plan an upgrade and see what happens this time around. Thanks!

If one comments out editorTheme.codeEditor.lib in the settings file, it will default to ACE.

Yes, that is true - it is only in the settings file that it has been defaulted to monaco. But for compatibility and issues with monaco, the ultimate fallback is ACE (for now)

1 Like

I'm probably just feeling grumpy because it isn't vi, but is "any" of this stuff "any" use at all or does it just obstruct my view of the code? Is there "any" way to get rid of it?
Animation

I would like to get rid of this too. My eyesight isn't what it once was and the text is just too small to read.

Edit - I suppose from time to time it's useful to see a prototype (?) of a given function call, but surely not everytime the cursor is over the name? Maybe a right click to show what Monaco knows about any word in the code would be less distracting.

Move your mouse out of the way! :wink:

If you know the type and parameter of everything that exists in JS and node-red, then no.

However, if you are new to JS / node-red, I think it is invaluable. Even I cannot remember the parameters for many of the functions.

Have you seen the built in snippets? Try tying status or clone or getprop - then hit TAB.

If enter an incorrect type in a Node-RED function call, it tells you - look at this post and the follow up post below it.

However, if you are very stuck on having no help then sure, it can all be disabled - just add the necessary options in the settings.js file.

Its supposed to be. Its meant to show you a picturesque view where you can spot sections of code quickly (like a map). In fact it is called minimap and YES it can be switched off - just add the necessary options in the settings.js file.

1 Like

Ah but if I do that my code quickly fills up with spurious j and k characters as I try and move the cursor! :wink:

I have now. It will take a lot of getting used to.

Thanks for your efforts to drag my coding habits into the 21st century!

1 Like

That's OK, I've a fix for you ... Switch back to PERL, it is ideal with VI :smile_cat: :rofl: :woozy_face:

4 Likes

:laughing: When Monaco was first introduced I felt the same way because it was something new to have to learn, but I was sold when I found that I could just type context in Monaco, and it immediately gave me the correct format to set/get context, which I always used to get wrong!!
The error checking is also a great help, as I make loads of em :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, Monaco helps kill of loads of silly little mistakes and also helps standardise coding practices that make reading the code later rather easier. Possibly one of the best things that Microsoft have ever produced.

5 Likes

After leaving the Windows world more than 20 years ago, I was pleasantly surprised that Monaco is indeed one of the best things that Microsoft ever produced. I am not a power user, but it is incredibly helpful!

1 Like

It’s supposed to be simple. Drag and do something. It’s turning into complicated. which is why I’m giving it to Nick to figure out. There is no way to speak for everyone.

1 Like